What happen to the left side shackle angle.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
I just notice the left side shackle angle is not right.:pale:if I jack it up at the frame it moves away just like the right side,but when I lower the jack it goes back agance the trunk pan.The right side angle is were it should be.IT was not like that when it went to the body shop I would of notice it very freak out.What is causing it.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 003.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 241
It looks like the rear 1/2 of the leaf spring is too short, or the forward part is too short from the pin moving the rear eye too far forward. With the car on the ground, the bottom of the shackle should be straight down or pointing towards the back.

Attachments

• 6778479-shackleangle.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 219
You can see clearly at the body shop left and right are at the same angle.Has a leaf slip or broken,what a way to kill my Christmas spirit.:???:

Attachments

• 648.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 74 duster 007.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 229
As said... either:
- They are the wrong springs and are too short.
- Something is not mounted correctly at the front of the springs and the springs are too far forward.
- The rear spring mounts are in the wrong place.....have those mounts been modified?

Somehow it got pushed over center would be my guess. Jack it up letting the rear hang, as you lower it try prying the shackle downward getting it past that over center going in the correct direction as you are lowering it....CAREFULLY!

You made me think 2x Bad Sport: There is no way it should be angled so flat at full droop, as shown in pix #2. It may be because there are no shocks installed to limit how far the rear axle can droop and it is moving way too far down.

As said... either:
- They are the wrong springs and are too short.
- Something is not mounted correctly at the front of the springs and the springs are too far forward.
- The rear spring mounts are in the wrong place.....have those mounts been modified?

No nothing it is all org,the angles were dead on when I bought it.

You jacked it up with the shocks off! It won't arch that much with the weight of the car on them and can't move that far with the shocks attached. You may also be missing the clamp off the rear of the leaves. Get it back from over center and let it down slow then put the shocks back on.

Somehow it got pushed over center would be my guess. Jack it up letting the rear hang, as you lower it try prying the shackle downward getting it past that over center going in the correct direction as you are lowering it....CAREFULLY!

exactly this ^^

a steel bar will get it done

You made me think 2x Bad Sport: There is no way it should be angled so flat at full droop, as shown in pix #2. It may be because there are no shocks installed to limit how far the rear axle can droop and it is moving way too far down.

But why at the body shop there booth the same.I am not going to go after the body shop,just want it fix.

Ok another pic the first is the side with bad angle notice that 1 of the leafs is not flat against the other, the right side is good.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 007.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 228
the spring is separated because of the shackle angle . snap the shackle back where its supposed to be and that will go away

This:

"It may be because there are no shocks installed to limit how far the rear axle can droop and it is moving way too far down."

and this:

"You jacked it up with the shocks off!"

Sorry if I confused things with my first post.....

But why at the body shop there booth the same.I am not going to go after the body shop,just want it fix.

It should be a simple fix, pry it back over center, lower it down and get the shocks on it.

Done.

It should be a simple fix, pry it back over center, lower it down and get the shocks on it.

Done.

Well it sounds straight forward,the thing is I plan on pulling everything a part to paint,thought will my old springs work from my 69 Dart into the Duster.Thanks for easing my mind.:D

That's what I was going to say. I've had it happen on my Jeep when I over flex the springs too.

Thanks again all. I have never had that happen in all the years working on Mopars,o well 1 for the books, as said I plan on removing the rear, and springs to paint in about a mouth or 2.:toothy1:

-
Back