What happened to 70's style centerline wheels?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I ran VW Beetle sized 15 inch tires on the front of my 1965 valiant bracket racer back in the late 70's. They were mounted on those narrow aluminum centerline wheels with the various rivets all around the exposed portion of the wheel. Are these wheels still in production? If not, what happened?

Attachments

• 1965 Valiant Effort copy.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 953
ya you can still buy them go to centerlines website...i forget the radial equivelent size for the tires

So you posted a thread whining with out even searching first , Jegs and Summit both have them

I have a modern set 15 x 8 and 15 x7s im bout to sell once im back from LA in early January. Good rubber on the fronts rears worn.

Mid 90s to 00s rangers have IIRC 15x6 copies and newer jeeps have 15 or 16x7 or 8 copies.

Both can be found at the JY near you for about $30 each.

Thank you. I actually did a Centerline internet search first. On the page that opened, I only saw junk wheels (for me) that did not look anything like the first popular style I am talking about. Now I only ask myself why I seem to see so few on FABO member vehicles. For me it will always be these and Cragar SS wheels.

Same here. Centerlines have stood the test of time when other wheel styles have come and gone.

Centerlines are good for drag racing, but I sold mine when they said not to run radials for handling. I assumed they had problems with high side loads.

The wheels on my "Cuda are made by American Racing, and are very similar to the vintage Centerlines.

Love the old school CL!

Attachments

• IMG_2961.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_2960.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 521
Love the old school CL!

012-Copy.jpg

007-1-1.jpg

I wanted that vintage old school look. They have stood the test of time. I think they are a love them or hate them wheel. I love my centerlines. But, they are a pain in the *** to polish around the rivets.

Yeah Summit has a pile of um.

I wanted that vintage old school look. They have stood the test of time. I think they are a love them or hate them wheel. I love my centerlines. But, they are a pain in the *** to polish around the rivets.

Yup, I have never liked them. Dunno why, just too solid for me I guess.

Don't know if they are still available....but come on now...late 70's was 30+ years ago....never mind being a different decade it was a different century....

Centerline autodrag, can't remember the exact year they became available. Think it was 1974 or 75.
Cragar made the style first available in 1971 called the super trick. Racing only wheel. To light and fragile for street use.
The first sets didn't have the dual bolt pattern and all used bolts rather than rivits to hold the wheel halves together.

Centerlines had the rivits and held up good on the street.
Hard to believe they are still making them 40 years later.
The Cragars were much quicker to be outdated and discontinued.

Attachments

• IMG_20141218_134800_294-1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 464
Love the old school CL!

Wow!!, Your Duster looks great but have a question. What brand and size tires are you running with these CL's. I just bought a 72 Duster and the guy threw in a set of old school CL's no tires.

old school?? for some of us that is mags made prior to '70!!???? LOL really!!! give me a max wedge in a 63 b body and ya can have your hemi!! LOL

Check these out; http://www.trickwheels.com/wheels/

A friend of mine makes those wheels. They are forged, one piece and CNC machined. The original aluminum ones from the '70s were two piece and would bend if street driven. He made them specifically to get the authentic look with modern technology. Cragar introduced the SST for street cars but they were not as cool as the Super Tricks.

I have the old school Centerlines on my car. Front are small bolt pattern even.

IMG_0226_zps7cc4bf61.jpg

-
Back