What happened to the people?

-

cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
Reaction score
I broke down in my old truck this morning at the Farm/Feed store. It was just corrosion on the battery terminals. This truck rarely ever lets me down so I don't carry any tools in it.
:wack:
Not one person offered to help!

Just five years ago everybody going in or coming out of that store would have offered and/or tried to help. What has happened that makes everybody so anti-social? Is it 9/11?

Just five years ago everybody going in or coming out of that store would have offered and/or tried to help. What has happened that makes everybody so anti-social? Is it 9/11?

It's not anti-social, look at what's going on in the country today. We live in a "it's all about me world" anymore.

We really need to get back to the basics, but I fear it's too late.

I know that feeling.

Bout 8 years ago I had an Axleshaft snap off in my D50 (snapped off just behind the brake drum), watched my wheel & drum pass me at 45mph.

While I sat on the side of the road waiting, 40 or more cars must have went by, including a cop. Did any of them stop to see if I needed help? Nope.

Look what their selling at the farm feed store. If it's anything like up here it's gone like wally world or target.. I go into sport check and ask them if they have any sporting goods. Go into a men's shop and ask them if they have any cloths for men. But that's progress. I still stop for people broke down and will continue to do so... we're a dying breed

I gave a nice young lady a jump start a few weeks ago, she had two little kîds in the back.
But still in the back of my mind I wonder if I'm being scammed.
Plus with cell phones it isn't like someone will need to walk a mile to call for help, even the lady I helped had already talked to her husband on the cell phone.

Sorry to say but most people suck these days. That's why I only deal with certain people in my life. I'm not going to waste my time on the " me generation".

I live out in the boonies and I stop for anybody on the side of the road. My old Caravan broke down and I had 5 or 6 people stop. Country folk tend to look out more for others.

On a side note did the place sell coke or pepsi? Ive always used that in a pinch to clean corroded battery terminals.

I broke down in my old truck this morning at the Farm/Feed store. It was just corrosion on the battery terminals. This truck rarely ever lets me down so I don't carry any tools in it.
:wack:

It's always been that way. The oddities are the people who do stop. I'd bet if you actively tried to flag someone down. They would stop.

No one wants be murdered by a deranged vagrant.

I gave a guy a jump at office depot two weeks ago with my new truck.Blew his mind when I pulled up in front of him.

Since coming out here to Sask. Ive been helped out twice and both times immediately....
1st time, just bought the 84 D150 and ran outta gas...bad gauge. Guy farming sold me $20 in fool.
2nd time, a town close by plowed a long strip of snow into the middle of the main street. I friggin drove right up onto it(it was late/dark) and got stuck. I was high centered and more on the wrong than the right side of the street...LOL.
Truck right away drove past me, stopped, had a tow strap..BINGO! Saved again. Saskatchewan hospitality is amazing.
I blame a lot of it on technology. Watch people and see just how many of them are on the phone ALL THE TIME!! Used to ***** about kids n video games, but chk the adults out with their frickin phones. I believe this has caused people to interact less with one another.
When I was single, I would always go into the coffee shop instead of the drive thru, you were more likely to meet someone that way(a guy can always hope right??) LOL
There is still good people out there, Ive met quite a few here.

I noticed a black couple on the side of the main highway out here about a month before Christmas I guess it was. In a little size blazer. The bottom ball joint was broke on the right front. She was real pregnant and he didn't know anything about cars. I rode them into town and he had the money for the ball joint. We rode back to my house and got enough tools and I put a ball joint in for them. Only took about 2 total hours. He wanted to pay me but I wouldn't take it.

My daughter and her female roommate had a flat on her Stratus in downtown Chico, CA where they go to college. They were parked on the street in a busy area with tons of foot traffic. She called me up because they couldn't get the wheel off the hub. They both were taking turns kicking it to break it loose. I said surly there must be at least one college boy who will help two cute girls change a tire. Nobody! Not one person stopped to help. I told her to be careful not to knock the car off the jack just as the wheel finally broke loose when her roommate gave it a good solid hit. Scared the crap out of me picturing them out there.

It's a sad world.

I pushed a stranger's car the last twenty feet to the gas pump the other day. He said thanks and I told him to pay it forward. Most people these days are so self absorbed that they don't notice others around them, even if they're in distress. It may be cliche, and sound like a commercial, but change starts with us and one person can make a difference.

heres why u did not get help they did not have a reason to use there cell phone

I noticed a black couple on the side of the main highway out here about a month before Christmas I guess it was. In a little size blazer. The bottom ball joint was broke on the right front. She was real pregnant and he didn't know anything about cars. I rode them into town and he had the money for the ball joint. We rode back to my house and got enough tools and I put a ball joint in for them. Only took about 2 total hours. He wanted to pay me but I wouldn't take it.

And that my friend, makes you a man among men,...

I live out in the boonies and I stop for anybody on the side of the road. My old Caravan broke down and I had 5 or 6 people stop. Country folk tend to look out more for others.

Ain't that the truth,...Also depends on what part of the country your in,...If found that folks down south and out west are waaaayyyy more sociable and helpful than all these self important New Englanders that I was raised with,....My wife is from Oregon, and she works in a diner part time here in Connecticut, Don't even get her started,...She is constantly amazed at how rude people are here, and they're lack of common manners...

The following is for my fellow New Englanders, and most younger folks everywhere....It's too bad most of you have forgotten these or were never even taught these manners....

If I hold the door for you and you don't acknowledge that, I will announce (in my outside voice), "YOUR WELCOME"

Everyone who is Older than yourself is adressed as Mr. or Ma'am,...It's showing respect,...

A woman is always allowed to speak first, especially in a restaurant...

In My House, "Please" and "Thank You" are not optional. Espesially with the young uns...

I will always wave and let you pull out in front of me at a busy intersection,...Unless your on your GODDAMN CELLPHONE, ...Then I will cut you off,...

But I digress,......Basic tools, Jumper Cables, A Blanket, and a cell phone are traveling nessessities for me, and I'd be happy to let you use them if yer inna pinch...

So, I take it you had your head under the hood or were looking sad and no one even asked.
Yep. I see your point.
One just has to be cautious "these days".
Think No Country For Old Men.
It's all about the situation.
Should a lone man stop to help a lone lady if she has a cell phone to call someone?
Cells have changed the dynamic for helping people.
Maybe change a tire.
You might be opening you self up to something bad.
I think about that kind of thing.
If I was not alone, even that would be different.

I will always wave and let you pull out in front of me at a busy intersection,...Unless your on your GODDAMN CELLPHONE, ...Then I will cut you off,...

I totally agree. If I see someone who needs to be let out, and they are on the cell phone, No chance! I don't yield right of way to them. If they are not on the cell, then I will...

My ex wife and I took the kids to my family's for Easter one year. On the way back, she blew the engine in her 64 Dart. We started walking for an exit. After about 20 minutes a state cop came up and stopped. Someone saw us walking and called in for help for us. The cop picked us up and gave us a ride to the next exit and dropped us off at a gas station to wait for someone to come get us. It was nice to get some help then.

So now when I see people stuck on the side of the road, I will call for the police to come check/help them. That way I don't put myself and family at risk if he is not a good person.

However, if it is a gorgeous babe in a bikini, then I will pull over personally and offer any help immediately....

But I have not yet found her.... After all these years.... She's due to pop up sometime....

That was awesome!!!!

A couple weeks ago I was in a Wally's parking lot just meeting my daughter to swap out Jeeps because her's was overheating. I had the hood up on her's trying to jump the radiator fan to get it to come on and a guy in a newer Challenger coam over to ask to help. I said Thank You, but no thanks. It was nice of him.
I try to help if I see someone broken down,. I turned around the other day and picked up this guy hitch hiking and gave him a lift.

Here's how to handle traffic accidents:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IWx96qPtn8"]George Carlin - Traffic Accidents: Keep Movin' - YouTube[/ame]

And on the otherside of the spectrum I came out of the store and a girl had locked herself out of her car..I asked if she needed help and told her I had a lock rod and airbag to get the door open...She said her boyfriend was coming..( funny she had her phone but not her keys) so I waited and he came and was pissed off that I was there talking to her. I asked him if he wanted to get it opened for them he said No Ill call a lock smith I just said ok and left...I have lived here for most of my life and know there arent any locksmiths around here so hope he was happy with his decision...I still would stop to help but people are really getting rude when you ask to help them...Everybody is all about them selves and everyone is in a big rush...How many times have you been the last one in line of a line of cars and had someone pull out in front of you because they didnt want to wait another 10 seconds...Bill

However, if it is a gorgeous babe in a bikini, then I will pull over personally and offer any help immediately....

But I have not yet found her.... After all these years.... She's due to pop up sometime....

im pretty sure "she" drives a Toyota

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbsyEI78m5s"]Funny Ads Toyota Corolla - YouTube[/ame]

back on topic
we got hit with some decent snow here in Michigan and I took the family to go see her sister yesterday (it was me, the wifey, or almost 4 year old and our 11 week old, that leaves 2-3 empty seats in the truck)

it was only a 15 minute drive and in it there were 4 situations in which I choose to "act"

1 as we were driving a little Honda CRV in front of us made a left hand turn and wiped out into a snowbank
I pulled past the intersection and put on the hazards
when I saw in my rear view mirror that she had managed to back out of the snowbank and proceed on her way I continued on mine

2 came across a car with the hazards on, buried in a snow bank. it was some little import that had just slid of the road
I put on my hazards and slowed down enough to look into the vehicle to see if there was anyone left in it but it was empty so I continued on my way

3 coming up on the overpass I saw a huge cloud of snow, like you would see when the plow takes out a drift at 60 miles an hour so I slowed down and continued with care. once I reached the top of the overpass I found out the cloud had come from a little Suzuki spinning out, taking out the rear end of a blazer and bouncing of the front end of a f-150
everybody involved was OK (though the import was totaled and the blazer lost a rear wheel so that wasn't driving off on its own power
it looked like there were about 12 people there, all "young adults", some male, some female and NONE of em dressed for the sub zero windchill
I stopped and offered to at least take the girls and give them a ride to some place warm but they said they were ok
(as someone mentioned before, they had already called someone on their cellphone and help was the way)
so I kept going

4 before making it to her sisters I passed by a little neon with the hazards on, buried in a snowbank, exact same as #2 so no need for me to help there either.

now, in none of these situations was I required to get out of the truck, or out of my way to help anybody out, but I was more then willing too

I keep several towstraps both in the car as well as in the charger to pull people out of the snow and back into the street if I need to
as much as I hate to admit it, I was once young, stupid and the owner of an import on tires that were worthless in the snow and it only takes a second on two to get off of the road and into the ditch and I've had plenty of people come by and help me out
come to think of it, there was one guy driving a pick-up truck, he had a towstrap already looped to his truck with the other end tossed in the bed, took him all of 30 seconds to pull over, hook my car up, pull me out, unhook me, wave and be on his way

I think on my best day I musta pulled a dozed cars out of snowbanks with the charger
gotta love the AWD and winter tire combination

-
Back