what harmonic balancer should I get for my 340?

-

WildCat

Reaction score
The balancer on my 340 is the original from 1971 and the rubber is looking old, so it was suggested I change it

Now this is just a street 340, not building it as a race motor, but want it to be respectable

Looking at a few different sites but Mancini has the most shown for my motor

on the high end of it is a Fluidamper $402.95

and on the low end one by PRO/RACE pro/street not SFI certified, but sounds like a good stock street replacement about $106.00

So would it be worth the extra $300 for the fluidamper for the benefits?

Is there one better than prorace, should I go ahead and get one SFI cert.?

MP has 2 different ones for internal balanced engines

another one that I looked at showed for forged cranks only, but also said for all internal balanced engines

right now my pully bolts on with 6 bolts and some look to have only 3 bolt holes, Does this matter?

This is so confusing

Thanks in advance

I am planning to go with the Mopar Performance "A" engine vibration damper, part # 4452816.

I would just use a new Mopar Performance 340 replacement balancer.

Your 71 340 is internal balanced and has a forged crank.

The fluid dampner is thicker that the stock one and you will have to buy a shorter crank pulley to use it .And also have to space out the other drives a little bit to match.I did mine and used a march crank pulley for a 440 .It turned out well ,but was a hassle.My advice is get a stock thickness balancer and not have to do alot of fab work

ook, sorry shoulod have been more descriptive. Whats wrong with using a stock balancer on other motors?

According to Pro/Race website, _they_ supply MP :

http://www.pro-race.com/Retailer.htm

EDIT: I have spoken to Pro/Race today (6/17) and they only supply the SFI-approved unit P5249690 - the 4452816 is a cheap Chinese-made unit.

Dean.

-
Back