What have I done

-

Stinktooth

Reaction score
I recently freshened up the motor in my 64 valiant I also removed everything from the engine bay to repaint it, I re-wrapped my existing harness and reinstalled it,I removed the steering column and changed some dash bezels as well. Now I have crazy electrical problems! for starters The blinker mechanism always makes a clicking sound and gets hot,I have no brake lights or rear signal lights( i do have running lights in the rear when the headlights are on).
The front directionals work fine. I checked the firewall plugs and made sure all the pins are making contact,I checked all the sockets and even changed all the bulbs to be sure that was not it.I did have the directional switch put together wrong but i fixed that.I checked the brake switch and that is still functioning but no juice making it to the rear lights.I have a feeling the non stop clicking of the blinker thingy is the key but I'm not sure?

Without knowing what all you tore apart, hard to say. How do you know you got the signal switch together correctly, as that seems to be the central issue?

Start by disconnecting the flasher so you can troubleshoot it, and disconnect the battery. Get yourself a continuity tester.

The "truth table" for the signal switch goes something like this:

1 Make sure the 4 way flasher, if present, is OFF, or disconnect the switch/ flasher to be SURE

2. With the switch centered, the cold side of the brake light switch should show continuity to both rear lights only

With the switch to left, cold side of brake light switch should ONLY go to RIGHT REAR

Flasher "output" should show continuity to both front and rear left.

Opposite is true for right signal.

Unhook rear harness and see if that changes the problem, you may have a harness crossed or miswired

Best way to troubleshoot without risk of burning stuff up is to get a BIG test lamp---such as a spare/ junk stop/ tail light that you can wire up with clips, etc

Tape off socket so it does not short, and hook one clip lead to socket, other clip to stop filament.

Now hook one end of this mess to battery, but leave battery unhooked from car for safety, IE unhook battery positive clamp.

Now when you ground the test lamp it will light

Unhook signal switch, and hook the "ground" side of your lamp to each of the leads to the signal harness. You should be able to refer to the diagram and confirm that tan, green, etc, lights up left front, left rear, whatever, so make sure those are as they should be.

Gonna try that in AM thank you 67 ,the little moving parts with the guide pins seem to be oriented correctly the copper inlay part is facing out and the pins seem to favor the outside of the column . i have no 4 ways on the car but i am going to take your advice I have all the necessary test lights and such.
I will keep you updated and try and post a pic .

A clue would be the flasher always clicking.
Something is shorted.
Disconnect the harnes to the steering column and see if it stops.
It sure could save you a lot of time.

I was successful in fixing my wiring problems today.First I checked all the wires from my steering harness to the back of the car.They all checked out ok. Next I decided to open up the directional switch again and revisit that again. Through a process of elimination I flipped and rotated the little movable switch thingy s inside the switch until everything worked I was surprised and amazed it was all caused by that switch.here are some close up pictures of the switch with the parts in wrong and the final arrangement that worked.Thanks all for the help.:finga:

Attachments

• directional wrong.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 149
  • directional right.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 137
As our Navy guys used to say, "!!!OUTSTANDING!!!"

Here is a before and after of the engine bay so far still need to install washer bottle and some body plugs and stuff.

Attachments

• 100_1037.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_1419.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 123
Nice. I did similar to my 65 Dart 273 - everything off the firewall including heater box & steering, but left the engine in (intake, valve covers, distributor off). Doing similar in my 64 Valiant slant, but stopped at the blower motor until I remove the box.

So, you left us hanging. How did your turn signal switch sliding contacts get installed wrong? I assume you replaced your cam (self-canceling arms usually break). Did the contacts pop out or did you remove to clean and forgot to take a photo first (do I do that? you bet).

(Raises hand) It was me , I removed the switch to take out the steering shaft and the parts flew around the inside of my car like popcorn. I would have sworn I put them back correctly though, but i guess not. Next time I know better.

-
Back