What Have I Done!

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, my Duster would not start. I figured I might be out of gas. Popped the trunk, couldn't see any gas in the fuel cell. I was sure it had "some" fuel in it, just didn't know how much. Me not knowing, took a screwdriver and pushed down the foam to see how much fuel would be on the screwdriver, you know, like a dipstick. Apparently I punctured something due to the hissing sound I heard as if air was escaping. Now the engine surges between 400-500 rpm at idle. What did I puncture? Do I need a new fuel cell?

Thats what happens when you stick things in the gas hole of your car. How would you feel if someone stuck a screwdriver in your gas hole?

I cant see it, its foam in an enpty tank? try to find that hissing sound now could be the whole reason the car didnt start?

hmm... maybe dont tell them you were probing the gas tank with foreign objects..... just saying...

Sounds like it had an air bladder in it. Whoops.

Some-ting-not-right.. any fuel cell I have messed with is either open or has foam"bricks" in it. why would there be a "air blader" in there makes no sense. try pulling the foam bricks out thru the filler hole and see whats in there.

Some-ting-not-right.. any fuel cell I have messed with is either open or has foam"bricks" in it. why would there be a "air blader" in there makes no sense. try pulling the foam bricks out thru the filler hole and see whats in there.

I will try that and see.

Literally tons of cells use air bladders as a means of fuel slosh control. It makes total sense if you have ever used one.

Also, Summit and others sell just the bladders, so they could be in most any fuel cell. You don't know until you check.

The idle surging is probably the power valve, responding to a low vacuum signal , that is or may be a function of the engine wanting to stall due to lack of sufficient fuel in the bowls to feed the lowspeed circuits.

Stuck my hand down into the fuel cell. Felt very wet and gushy! The only thing I felt inside all the way to the bottom was the foam bricks. Nothing that would make that "air escaping" sound I heard. Called Summit tech line but got tired of being on hold.

-
Back