what headers to use?

-

ray79rt

Reaction score
Hey yall give me alittle advice please. My headers are shot and I need new ones, help me chose. My car is a bracket only car, 408 stock heads 2.02 with home porting but not flow benched but I feel they work real well as I have ported a dozen or so sbm heads, flat top 11 to 1, steel crank, .568 solid lift cam, 4200 stall, 4.88 gear, 31x 10.5 w slicks, victor jr, 830 hp. I run one chamber flows (mufflers are optional but requested at our track) and the inner fenders are gone. The car is 2800lb with me in it. 6.66 in 1/8 1.40 short times shifted at 6500 in best conditions. I currently have cheap 1 5/8" headers with 3" collectors. Header coating is not a concern nor is chassis or fender exits. I would speed the 600 or so for bigger primary headers if I thought it would help my combo. I have never run large tube headers. Should I stick with cheap small tube headers or spend the bucks on bigger ones, where is a good place to find them. Thanks for any suggestions, Ray

Ray, if I'm reading into this combo right, your really making some power here but giving up alot of top end charge with the small tube headers.

IMO, thers really 2 headers to look at off the top of my head.

tti or Hooker Super Comp headers into a 3 inch exhaust pipe size.
Based on actuall output, *I Think* the Hookers should be better for a track only car being launched like a golf ball and turning hi RPM's.

tti or Hooker Super Comp headers into a 3 inch exhaust pipe size. Based on actuall output, *I Think* the Hookers should be better for a track only car being launched like a golf ball and turning hi RPM's.

Hooker Super comps stomp a mudhole in tti step headers. We had a pretty stout 394 on a dyno and the super comps were 27 hp better than the tti's. No other changes except the header swap.

Street driving, do tti's. Performance Hookers.

Well, you can't beat that testiment. He he he

Honeslty the Hooker SC are fine ont he street as well.....they don't hang as low as the small tube Headmans and they fit really well.....plus they are $200 cheaper for better flow....the choice is obvious.

Hey you guys are great, I will try to find some super comps. What size primary tubes do they have? Are they all the same or are there options. Did I mention this is in an a body?

1-3/4" primary and 3" collector.....Hooker P/N 5204. You have to run manual steering. You CAN'T have a sway bar on the front and a mini-starter is really nice and should be mandatory.

Honeslty the Hooker SC are fine ont he street as well.....they don't hang as low as the small tube Headmans and they fit really well.....plus they are $200 cheaper for better flow....the choice is obvious.

FWIW,I know a couple guys making some serious power with small blocks running these,they would be on mine if I could afford them.

Hey yall give me alittle advice please. My headers are shot and I need new ones, help me chose. My car is a bracket only car, 408 stock heads 2.02 with home porting but not flow benched but I feel they work real well as I have ported a dozen or so sbm heads, flat top 11 to 1, steel crank, .568 solid lift cam, 4200 stall, 4.88 gear, 31x 10.5 w slicks, victor jr, 830 hp. I run one chamber flows (mufflers are optional but requested at our track) and the inner fenders are gone. The car is 2800lb with me in it. 6.66 in 1/8 1.40 short times shifted at 6500 in best conditions. I currently have cheap 1 5/8" headers with 3" collectors. Header coating is not a concern nor is chassis or fender exits. I would speed the 600 or so for bigger primary headers if I thought it would help my combo. I have never run large tube headers. Should I stick with cheap small tube headers or spend the bucks on bigger ones, where is a good place to find them. Thanks for any suggestions, Ray

Ray,i'm curious is that 830hp a guess or dyno proven?? because with that kind of hp you should be going a LOT faster then 6.66 in the 1/8 mile...

The 830HP I believe is the carb.

Chuck

Oh..silly me..in that case Ray,i would go with the tti's thats what i run on my 416,and have been very happy with the fit,finish and performance i've gotten so far...

830 is the carb. I would guess 475 to 500 horses? I would crap my pants to drive a 830 horse power car. That would be a blast. Thanks guys again.

The Hooker SC's are equal length headers that tune the ex. together. Look for some 1 3/4" primary and depending on auto (go with the longest tube they offer) or with stick you can go with a little shorter tube. The larger tube helps with breathing and the longer tube replaces some of the torque.
Step headers are a different ballgame.

I have tti's now and I plain just hate headers but love the power and sound. Mine are almost two years old and already welds have broke and are rusting out pretty badly by the collector...oh and they are coated. If it's a race car only then go with what makes the most power but for me I'm going with the cheapest because they are just another part that wears out fast.

I have tti's now and I plain just hate headers but love the power and sound. Mine are almost two years old and already welds have broke and are rusting out pretty badly by the collector...oh and they are coated. If it's a race car only then go with what makes the most power but for me I'm going with the cheapest because they are just another part that wears out fast.

I had Hooker Super Comps on my small block. They are off and TTI's are going on.

Mine is a street car, clearance issues everywhere, hang TOO LOW and hit all the time on the drivers side (big block torsion bars and gas shocks too)

Bought a new set of TTI and when the engine goes back in I hope to have the clearance I want.

Hookers might be good on drag car but I would not run them on a street car

-
Back