what heater and rad hoses do i need?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

getting close to buttoning up the motor and starting her up...I need new heater hoses as well as rad hoses...for the heater hoses i was just going to order 71 duster 340 hoses (it is a 71 scamp originally /6 with a 340 now)..for the rad hoses is where im a little off...im more than likely going to be using a rad from a mid 80's small block fifth avenue that i have (if it fits), however, it is bigger than the stock slant six one....so im wondering, do i order hoses for the fifth avenue small block or hoses for a 71 340 car? i dont want them to end up being too short...If anybody can give me some info on this stuff i would appreciate it

thanks!
Matthew

For heater hoses simply go to the local auto parts store and buy it by the foot. Absolutely no reason to order heater hoses unless you want some with factory markings.....

For radiator hoses post what side (of the radiator) the top and bottom hoses would attach to.

cool wil do for the heater hoses..I will have to check the rad to see where the hoses go

For rad hoses, I bent electrical house wire to replicate the hoses and then went to NAPA and scoured the hoses to find ones that match the footprint of the wire.

well i checked the rad that i have and it the hose configuration is the passenger side has a hose on the bottom of the rad and the driver side has a hose on the top...anyway that can help me out some? also, just to give an idea, this rad is quite large- im not sure how the smallblock rads looked back in the time of our abodies, but its quite a bit bigger than my slant 6 one....it did come out of a smallblock fifth ave, but im not sure how similar it is to the old style ones

For heater hoses simply go to the local auto parts store and buy it by the foot. Absolutely no reason to order heater hoses unless you want some with factory markings.....

For radiator hoses post what side (of the radiator) the top and bottom hoses would attach to.

Im going to bump this one up for the night crowd and for 1968formulas340...If anyone can help me out on this one i would appreciate it as i would like to pick up the hose tommoro if i can

and pentastar great idea you gave there but my napa isnt like that lol...they are total D#$%s about everything, and my local partsource/ canadian tire stores are just complete boneheads...the more i know when i go to those places the better, otherwise i never come out with the right stuff or what i need at all

Napa part numbers

With your configuration you just need the stock hoses.

Just tell them you need an upper and lower hose for a 71 Scamp (or Dart) with a 318.

Hose - Radiator Lower
Item#: NBH7695

Hose - Radiator Upper
tem#: NBH7365

Napa part numbers

With your configuration you just need the stock hoses.

Just tell them you need an upper and lower hose for a 71 Scamp (or Dart) with a 318.

Hose - Radiator Lower
Item#: NBH7695

Hose - Radiator Upper
tem#: NBH7365

Thanks Man! Will do!

I have a 69 dart with a 340 and an aluminum radiator. the upper inlet is way on the drivers side. stock was more toward the middle on the 69s

The hose that worked for me was a 73 charger V8

Mshred,I would make sure the rad fits?,before buying any hoses.You did mention it looks bigger?If height is larger?It won,t work.2 cents.

Mshred,I would make sure the rad fits?,before buying any hoses.You did mention it looks bigger?If height is larger?It won,t work.2 cents.

well heres the thing, i put the radin the car last year and remember the hood closing fine with it...its just looking at it sitting in there now it kinda looks a little high...but my dad tells me it will be fine...i guess im just being paranoid, but either way i will find out when i get the hood on (need hood bolts first)

I remember in our dirt track 73' duster we used a radiator out of a 79' Diplomat... just used stock 318 hoses for a duster and it worked perfectly... hope this helps

Agree.....Find the radiator you will use and then buy the hoses.
I say the 80's fifth avenue rad will be waaay to big.
Besides with a nice engine bay like you have,why not get the correct 22" radiator for it ?

well i already have the hoses, they are ordered from a 71 dart with a 318 and they line up perfectly with the rad, so im assuming that my rad will work fine shutting the hood and all...plus, with it being a street car i dont mind the extra size if its going to help it cool better...i really cant stand overheating and i dont want that issue, so hopefully this rad solves that...it should fit, and if it doesnt then i will have to do something about it, but for now it should work

well i already have the hoses, they are ordered from a 71 dart with a 318 and they line up perfectly with the rad, so im assuming that my rad will work fine shutting the hood and all...plus, with it being a street car i dont mind the extra size if its going to help it cool better...i really cant stand overheating and i dont want that issue, so hopefully this rad solves that...it should fit, and if it doesnt then i will have to do something about it, but for now it should work

22" is the largest radiator an A-body will accept. That is without getting the saw out.

Good luck !!!!!

A-bodys use what are commonly called 19" and 22" radiators.
19's were used in /6 and 318 cars. 22's could be used in any of the A-bodys with A/C or heavy duty cooling.

Measure the width of the radiator opening .It will measure a little over 22".
People have put bigger radiators in,but you have to cut the radiator opening.

A-bodys use what are commonly called 19" and 22" radiators.
19's were used in /6 and 318 cars. 22's could be used in any of the A-bodys with A/C or heavy duty cooling.

Measure the width of the radiator opening .It will measure a little over 22".
People have put bigger radiators in,but you have to cut the radiator opening.

so you are talking about width then...i already have the rad, shroud, and fan all mounted up with no problems whatsoever...the side mounting tabs of the rad had to be modified slightly, but thats it...and the hood should close fine with this rad as well

i will try and get some up when i get a chance...it didnt take much mods really, just required cutting out a section on the driver side tab so that the rad can be moved over a little to mount properly...i purposely i cut it to follow the raised hole in the rad support...kinda hard to explain, i guess pics would be better lol

If you have a heater, all of them. (LOL)

Seriously, the /6 radiator had both inlet and outlet on the driver's side. The LA V-8s from 1971 on have the outlet the passenger side. To get things to match up, you'll either need to use a radiator to match the engine front cover model year (easiest) or change the front cover and harmonic balancer on the engine.

I had considered getting a tube bent with J-bends at each end to correct the mismatch. I was going to use a section of radiator hose to connect one end to the radiator and run the hose from the water pump to the other end of the tube. It would have been crowded, but would have worked. Ended up getting a great deal on a radiator with the inlet and outlet in the right places.

-
Back