what holds a 68 Cuda wiper knob on ?

-

DonnieLawson

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
Putting my 68 Barracuda dash back together on the bench, My windshield wiper/washer knob is way to sloppy..... And will fall back off . It looks like I'm missing a small piece that snugs it down on the wiper switch .
My grandson had the knob the other day "future motor head :) " and I got it from him and put the knob back on the bench .
I looked everywhere and cant find anything that looks like it would fit it .
Anybody got pics or suggestions ?

Thanks
Donnie

Attachments

• Cuda washer knob.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Cuda Dash Restore resized0006.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 127
Before they put that tiny piece of bowed steel in there as a tensioner a simple set screw was used.
I should have on of those little pieces in a knob here somewhere.
I wouldn't hesitate to put a set screw in it if it were mine.

Yup set screw. Take a different knobs set screw out and go to Lowes and use there size pitch gauge to find out the exact one.

It's not drilled for a set screw , it does have a widened spot inside the knob close to where the wiper switch shaft shaft inserts that looks like a small piece of spring steel would sit . That would keep tension on it .
I guess this is payback for losing some of my dads stuff when I was young.... LoL :)
I'm gonna search again today for the needle in the haystack.......
If someone has a old ratty knob with one it it , I'm interested

Thanks
Donnie

I had some small clips that you would shoot a screw into , like the ones that attach to the dash frame and the plastic dash bezel screws into . I cut one down to the correct width and length. It fits like a new one again. good and snug :)

-
Back