What horse power do you think

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
This is the spec's on the cam in my 318(Looks like greek to me! LOL).
camspecs.jpg

Bored 30 over (1976 block), new pistons (stock), Crank turned 20 under. Had the block and mains line bored. 904 heads ported and polished and shaved. Guy that did the heads thought the compression should be somewhere around 9.5 to 1

New power plus Intake manifold with a edelbrock 6oo. Flowtec ceramic headers with 2 1/2" flowmaster exhaust out the back. Runs great has lots of power. I'm not a numbers guy was hoping maybe some of you might have an idea on the Horse power and about where the timing should be. Right now at 18.

Downlad CamQuest you can get a free version it will give you a ballpark number and is fun to play with. Just google CamQuest find a site and downlod it and have fun.

Like 280-290 hp at the crank maybe @6k ?

Timing should be 34 - 36 total over 2500 RPM.

I'm assuming 18 is initial timing. Get a hold of an advance timing light were you have a knob to find the timing at different RPM's. What is your initial timing RPM? This also affects performance and you have to dial it in to make the car responsive.

total timing is where you get spark knock for whatever octane gas is run for a particular engine and compression. If it knocks you have to keep backing it off a couple of degrees intil the knock goes away. Turn the idle screw up to 2000 - 2500 RPM to check the total timing and then back it off to your regular idle rpm when done.

With an advance timing light you can check the timing at idle then see where it is until you reach total RPM. This helps you find what curve works well with your engine and how different springs affect the curve until you find the best one for your engine.

You have to figure out if you want/need to run vacuum advance or not. This will affect your setting for initial timing and how responsive the engine is.

I would guess 325-350 hp. at the crank. If I can find my dyno software I'll run some numbers. Mike

I'm coming up w/ 326 HP @ 6000 RPM and 322 lbs-ft @ 4500 using Desktop Dyno.

Thanks Guy's I like the sound of 300 + !!! The cam is the one I pulled out of my motor, John at Delta cam said it was an RV cam so he reground it to the spec's you see. Motor has a great sound at idle and is real responsive when I rap on it. One thing I have left to do is get rid of the lock up converter in it. I have a friend who is going to fix that problem when I get around to pulling the tranny out. I have a 1800 rpm stall waiting to go in, but of course it won't fit on the tranny because of the lock up feature.

-
Back