What I had to give up

-

swinginmy73

Reaction score
My boss bought another 48 Dodge Panel last week with the intentions of removing the original drivetrain and putting in a 350 and a jag rearend. I almost cried. I had a complete 318 out of a 75 Valiant w/ trans and an 8 3/4 housing I told him he could have towards the project if he promised not to put a @#$% Chevy motor in it. After some whining about how he liked Chevy and yada yada he agreed.

The Bonus for me is 1) I saved another mopar from being disgraced IMHO. and 2) I scored the running flathead 6 and 3 spd. I have no idea what I will do with it but, it aint going to scrap and I am sure i canfind a decent place for it, maybe a ratrod or maybe ?????

My boss bought another 48 Dodge Panel last week with the intentions of removing the original drivetrain and putting in a 350 and a jag rearend. I almost cried. I had a complete 318 out of a 75 Valiant w/ trans and an 8 3/4 housing I told him he could have towards the project if he promised not to put a @#$% Chevy motor in it. After some whining about how he liked Chevy and yada yada he agreed.

The Bonus for me is 1) I saved another mopar from being disgraced IMHO. and 2) I scored the running flathead 6 and 3 spd. I have no idea what I will do with it but, it aint going to scrap and I am sure i canfind a decent place for it, maybe a ratrod or maybe ?????

Way to take one for the team!

Thank you

too bad he didnt fix up the old org. flathead- im sure it wouldve been a bit more expensive but it was #rs matching

too bad he didnt fix up the old org. flathead- im sure it wouldve been a bit more expensive but it was #rs matching
He uses the Panels for deliveries and catering and says he needs the reliability and gas mileage of a new drivetrain.

There's a guy local to me that uses a 51 Panel for his computer business. It has the original drive train and the original worn out steering box.

as far as reliability goes you cant kill a flat head 6 (and I tried) they are cool engines
p.s. lets get some picks of the panel

If any body needs flat part I have a almost complete motor out of a 56 truck that is missing the head and oil pan.
Carb is still there along with the 3-speed tranny.
Free come and get it.

:goodman: Very , VERY cool !!

It's , at a minimum , the first step in the right direction . Later , you can convince him to go further and slip a 360 Mag / A-518 combo in that mother ! :headbang: .

While I feel there's nothing wrong with the 350 in and of itself , I do find its consistent application / dullards' way out , to be annoying and VERY un-original :cussing:.
I just think -- and actually know in many cases -- that guys whom wrestle with that damned 350 / 350 install , are guys whom either don't turn wrenches , don't actually -enjoy- cars ( it's a presteige thing ) , or want to be able to buy engine parts at the 99 Cent store
( This Week ONLY ! All 305 and 350 Chevy Motors are Buy 1 Get 1 FREE !!! at Your Local Big Lots !!! ).

as far as reliability goes you cant kill a flat head 6 (and I tried) they are cool engines
p.s. lets get some picks of the panel

I will take some pic's Friday. He got it and the trailer it was on for 2000.

There's a guy local to me that uses a 51 Panel for his computer business. It has the original drive train and the original worn out steering box.

The person he got it from used it to haul groceries for people who couldn't get around.
My boss drives his to BBQ Contests all over the west,from CO to Wa. He bought this one for his son to use when he is out of town, and his son can't change a light bulb!

I will take some pic's Friday. He got it and the trailer it was on for 2000.

Okay,heres pics of the one he has finished, he'll be doing the same to this as far as paint. The Blacktruck is a 48 340 727 8 3/4 truck local to Silverton Co. Sweet having both around for 6 months.
48dodge.jpg

That flatty would be GREAT to power a generator.

yeah, It is hard to ride in the pink one and that black one sounds frickin awesome!

reminds me of my friend Phil he used to ride around on a harley that the paint had faded to a shade a little darker than that truck, every time we would kid him about it he would get mad and yell "ITS NOT PINK!!! ITS HI-FI RED!"

Too bad you're in Az, I'm looking for a running flathead for one of my '53 Dodge trucks!

I love the old Pilothouse Dodge trucks. Very cool. Of course, with two '53's I may be a little biased. That's a pretty good deal your boss got, the panels are pretty hard to find, especially in any kind of decent condition. And good work on giving him the 318! :thumbup: Always nice to see a mopar engine in a mopar. I've heard some say that it's "boring" (from a hot rod perspective) to keep the same make engine, but I can't think of anything more overdone than putting a 350 chevy in ANYTHING. :violent1:

Oh! And if the black truck in the picture is a '48, it has a '51-'53 grille panel on it. That's not a '48 grill, '48-'50 grille's all look just like the one on that pink panel truck.

Too bad you're in Az, I'm looking for a running flathead for one of my '53 Dodge trucks!

I love the old Pilothouse Dodge trucks. Very cool. Of course, with two '53's I may be a little biased. That's a pretty good deal your boss got, the panels are pretty hard to find, especially in any kind of decent condition. And good work on giving him the 318! :thumbup: Always nice to see a mopar engine in a mopar. I've heard some say that it's "boring" (from a hot rod perspective) to keep the same make engine, but I can't think of anything more overdone than putting a 350 chevy in ANYTHING. :violent1:

Oh! And if the black truck in the picture is a '48, it has a '51-'53 grille panel on it. That's not a '48 grill, '48-'50 grille's all look just like the one on that pink panel truck.

I'll be in Cali around Bakersfield mid March if you are interested and it hasn't found a project by then I'll throw it in the truck along with the trans. Also have the original radiator!And it was full of clean anti freeze when we pulled it yesterday.Have to admit I was kind of shocked.

I may be wrong on the year, I am not too familiar with the old trucks. The pink one has the 350 A/C ford suspension and Jag rearend. That rearend may be nice in some vehicles but it is not meant to stop that darn panel once it gets rolling!

-
Back