what i hate abount work ahh.

-

alsdemon

Reaction score
this will be a short rant. we work on labor only parts are at cost to keep job cost down. most of the year may to oct. i make good money, no paid days off. like 4th july labor day no sick days. 2weeks or 10 days paid but no time off nov. dec. any way nov to feb my pay drop 300.to400. a week. and they my boss act like shi# .well we had a lady cust come in that needed brakes , and the church was going to help her with the bill. needed pads and rotors. so i called her she had not heard from the church but had no money to pay.so i fixed it with the under standing that it she didnot pay i would have to. she has a 4 year old boy and had nothing to drive. so today my boss who is it to the knight of columbus. as long as he is named when things get done. jumped me and tolled me that i can,t do that cause they may not pay . so i tolled him i knew that if she did not pay i would cover it.and was told you can,t do that. i forgot to say winter is tire time and they the tire side get a bonus for tires sale . so why do people that can help only do it when some one can see it. als

commission based I take it? One of the things I've always hated about working spiff and flat rate shops is this time of the year until around tax return time is you're starving. Feast or famine. Best to bank the money up front from when the times get lean and average it all out. Wife hates when I do that.
As to what else you're saying, there's a lot of people out there who do things just to get the attention of being the good guy. Not to say all are like this, but the ones who do something for others, then scream at the top of their lungs "look what I did" aren't out to help others, just out to get the rush of people pattin' 'em on the back. When someone else points out what you've done, that's recognition.

ya always playing catch up. was ok when i was the only one living off my pay but with 5 kids and a wife they don,t seem to understand. the other **** i can,t understand. if you want to help people then just do it . the choise is mine to stay there it,s been 14 years but everthing has gone up from health care to gas and food but not my pay so i think it,s time to look around. i have alot to offer. i,ve jumped to service guy before for more even pay. but got screwed at the end of the year money. turn me awayfrom that set up. maybe time for a differant line of work? been wrenching for 30year or more and like what i do just want a employer that repects what i bring to there companty. from wrighting bills and waiting on cust, phone sale and the work checking it out and selling the work. i would like to teach voc. school. als

Been thinking of another line of work myself. Between collision/frame work, restorations, and wrenching I've been at it for 20 years myself, with some service advisory work thrown in. The body is starting to show the wear and tear of it.

the thing is all the pepole i met and do work for have a repected for what i do ,no rip offs no maid out stuff or extra charges.i don,t know what a reg. job would be like. unlike landscaping or road work i can,t call the shots and get upset when they play there games. thats a whole differant post. at lease i.m not the only one with that deal. we always say the guys with the monster boxs most of the time they have a wife in the heath care biss.so they can spend there money on tools. if i had a wife like that that would save 3500 on health care that a year might buy a nice box, or tools. i,m not a box type guy mine are older a reg. size i like haveing tools more than show. point of fact one guy that worked with us was let go then got unmaried. then met his next wife high up in the red cross. has open up his own shop. the other guy i work with stoped and talk to him he said for the last 3 year after he open up he has put all the money back in the shop for tools or stocking parts or tires that kind of stuff to get it rolling cause wife makes 100.00 grand a year. don,t need his cash to live. i,m happy he made it but it was not cause he was a great whench just lucky right place right time. thanks for the rant. als

the thing is all the pepole i met and do work for have a repected for what i do ,no rip offs no maid out stuff or extra charges.i don,t know what a reg. job would be like. unlike landscaping or road work i can,t call the shots and get upset when they play there games. thats a whole differant post. at lease i.m not the only one with that deal. we always say the guys with the monster boxs most of the time they have a wife in the heath care biss.so they can spend there money on tools. if i had a wife like that that would save 3500 on health care that a year might buy a nice box, or tools. i,m not a box type guy mine are older a reg. size i like haveing tools more than show. point of fact one guy that worked with us was let go then got unmaried. then met his next wife high up in the red cross. has open up his own shop. the other guy i work with stoped and talk to him he said for the last 3 year after he open up he has put all the money back in the shop for tools or stocking parts or tires that kind of stuff to get it rolling cause wife makes 100.00 grand a year. don,t need his cash to live. i,m happy he made it but it was not cause he was a great whench just lucky right place right time. thanks for the rant. als

I know what you mean about being honest with the write-ups. I earned a reputation at a couple of different places I've been at because of being upfront with the customer. If there was an "upsale" it's because it was needed, not to pad the bill and add to my hours or commission, but to add to the safety and peace of mind for the customer. If someone came in for brakes and needed lower control arm bushings, after I had a chance to look the car over, the customer was made aware of it. So keep up the good work in that respect, als.
As for the tool box thing: I've always equated that with compensating for something :-D I've rebuilt entire cars out of a seventeen year old MAC Economizer and a five year old roll cart. You make money with the tools, not storage. Had to kind of play it rough with one kid I worked with in my last job. He had a huge MACsimizer toolbox, the hydraulic brake flare tool which cost him something like $500.00, a bearing splitter tool which cost him another $300.00, but kept coming to me to use my $20.00 Craftsman serpentine belt tool. I've always had an open toolbox policy: if I've got it, you can borrow it, just put it back where you found it. But after he used my basic tools so much I had to put my foot down. He was spending so much money a week on the tool truck for all the fancy tools and toolbox that he had no more money for the basics like a good impact, a serpentine belt tool, disconnects for fuel lines, or a DMM. And for all the money he was paying for his huge toolbox, it was mostly empty. And his fancy hydraulic flare tool wasn't all it was cracked up to be. In his hands he didn't get any better flare or do it faster than I could with my old manual $20 set. And, yeah, his wife worked for Cornell University. So all his paycheck was going to his toys while she paid for the house and her toys.
But I know what you mean, als. I've been at it so long, it's hard to find another mindset to do something else. Around here the best management is failed techs, or ones who have never been techs, so it's hard to work your way off the line, as you're considered too valuable turning a wrench. And good techs, the guys who can use scanners and are good at it, are so sought after that once you prove yourself on those, forget it. That's my rant.

i would have suggested public transportation to the lady. its a 4 year old kid. thats easy to travel a bus or train with.

-
Back