What If Build Ideas...for Land Speed Racing

-
Your not gonna need to care about lower rpm performance (bottom end) did you decide on engine and displacement and peak rpm to accomplish your goals?
Still working on building the car. Cage work. The first engine will be just to work the bugs out of the set up. I believe a turbo Gen 3 would be the best budget way to accomplish the goals. Another thought is a local shop machines and builds some amazing sprint car motors, it would be a contact for high rpm small block builds

Last edited:
Still working on building the car. Cage work. The first engine will be just to work the bugs out of the set up. I believe a turbo Gen 3 would be the best budget way to accomplish the goals. Another thought is a local shop machines and builds some amazing sprint car motors, it would be a contact for high rpm small block builds
**** man post pictures as you go. Please.

As for camshafts, pick an intake duration that gets peak power up where you need it, a handful more duration on the exhaust, as much lift as your heads will realistically support, and a wide LSA to carry the hp further up top. Trading away bottom end is perfectly fine on the salt. With something this specialized you’ll likely be working with a cam grinder (and probably more companies) to narrow down what you want it to do.

Pictures...I have been very reluctant to post anything as people are assholes. This will all get turned into, "it would be lucky to go 100mph, I wouldn't drive that thing 25mph, good luck with that POS, etc" I can read it already. So the original intent was to build a rough "Bubba wanted to go do NASCAR circa 1969-70, went broke and pushed it out back" car. Plans changed a little but overall concept is the same. Smooth paint I am learning is important and such. I just wanted to go have fun, whip donuts in a field, play on gravel roads, and not worry about door dings. This is a learning experience.

How I found it and a more recent pics. The car is held together with vice grips just for panel placement and inspiration. Hard to stay motivated at times when it is all in pieces.

I made a 2x4x3/16 square tube chassis bumper to bumper. The front suspension is from a Crown Vic with leaf springs and sliders out back. I have the parts to make it a C500 (flush Coronet grill and flush back window plug) It has a long ways to go, but it is coming along, I am learning a ton and trying to sort out a plan so as to not keep changing things. There was going to be Nascar style door bars, but that may move to a more common X... all of which will wait until the floor, console bars and over axle parts are done, just to make it easier to climb in and out of it. Engine build is just for dreaming, keeping eyes open for parts and a plan.

20200925_154736.jpg

20230409_163923.jpg

20230507_132852.jpg

20230729_185933.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome!! Doesn't matter what some people think, you're saving a Charger.

I still claim dibs on being pit elf at salt event. I will fetch beer wash parts, push cars, whatever it takes. Heck I might even wrench for ya! Total bucket list right there!
Fetch beer? I owe you yet and if you don't make it to MITP this year, then I will have to bring it to the salt... or do we need Corona if there is salt??? hmmm I hope not, I want real beer.

So, on a 1968 hp383 motor with what I understand has a positive deck height piston, going to a closed chamber head style with max wedge ports with net much higher than the 10:1 and the flow at the upper RPM needed? Then run on E85 or race gas? Then a large cam with a wider LSA? Likely not enough for the goals, but closer than what I have. Combine that with as much aero as I can think of that fits in the rules, 4 speed and 2.76 gear. The tube chassis fits me in Competition Sedan or Modified I believe.

Last edited:
This seems fairly straight forward to make the HP levels. Dial the boost back to about 1 atmosphere to help it live longer.

I love the car already. And I’m with @Sublime one if it goes to the salt I’m there in any capacity you need (beer wench, hot dog cooker, wrench). As 311 once said “**** the naysayers cause they don’t mean a thing”. I’ll have to look in to oiling mods for gen 3 hemis to make em live at sustained high rpm, the dyno is one thing, 5 miles at bonneville is a whole nutha animal. Have you set a mph goal?

I love the car already. And I’m with @Sublime one if it goes to the salt I’m there in any capacity you need (beer wench, hot dog cooker, wrench). As 311 once said “**** the naysayers cause they don’t mean a thing”. I’ll have to look in to oiling mods for gen 3 hemis to make em live at sustained high rpm, the dyno is one thing, 5 miles at bonneville is a whole nutha animal. Have you set a mph goal?
Thank you! Ultimately I want to go 200mph whether it is this car or a better suited car at Bonneville would be Holy Grail, but somewhere else if needed. As long as I can remember, I have wanted the coveted 200mph Club. It seems to do that, you need to break a record. That isn't happening, so a time/speed slip is my goal.

Not to bring the mood down but it needs to be mentioned. Mike Cook, former SCTA president and owner/operator of the Mike Cook shootout, passed away a few days ago. I went to high school with his son Mike Cook Jr and it’s them that started my love for land speed racing. He is responsible for so much not limited to opening up the salt for us in 2019 to make record runs when no one else showed up. He was a legend, is a legend and my sympathy goes out to the Cook family. Thanks Mike

5799D8D6-F2D4-4917-ACEF-960D77969315.png

4CD61CFA-A70E-4C63-9D47-FE0CC4344A83.png

80A0FE68-7CEF-4107-9AFC-2F5F3759247F.png

Not to bring the mood down but it needs to be mentioned. Mike Cook, former SCTA president and owner/operator of the Mike Cook shootout, passed away a few days ago. I went to high school with his son Mike Cook Jr and it’s them that started my love for land speed racing. He is responsible for so much not limited to opening up the salt for us in 2019 to make record runs when no one else showed up. He was a legend, is a legend and my sympathy goes out to the Cook family. Thanks Mike

View attachment 1716164837

View attachment 1716164838

View attachment 1716164836
Well said

View attachment 1716164837

View attachment 1716164838

View attachment 1716164836
That is terrible news. Great that you knew him and what he did for everyone.

That is terrible news. Great that you knew him and what he did for everyone.
Great memories in high school going to their house when his son “Jr” would call us up and say “dads firing up the nitro car tonight”. We’d all ditch last period and run over there to cry from nitro fumes just to hear it run. Just one of many great memories

Great memories in high school going to their house when his son “Jr” would call us up and say “dads firing up the nitro car tonight”. We’d all ditch last period and run over there to cry from nitro fumes just to hear it run. Just one of many great memories
That's awesome! I never had anything like that growing up in Northern WI. But, I found a love of cars from my Dad and am passing that onto my son the best I can.

I grew up in one of my Dads buddies race shop. He raced USCCA in D production. Ultimately National Champion, sponsored by Porsche, one very poorly worded interview with car and driver magazine and poof! blah blah! I was born to fetch tools and wash parts and open beers. I always got one sip from every beer I fetched. Just great memories. To be a part of the racing community my entire life has been a blessing. Admittedly I went the drag racing route but the fellowship and brotherhood is the same across racing regardless, boats, car’s, motorcycles, dirt asphalt or pavement! Soon to be salt! Subtle hint there @71GSSDemon
Hah!

I grew up in one of my Dads buddies race shop. He raced USCCA in D production. Ultimately National Champion, sponsored by Porsche, one very poorly worded interview with car and driver magazine and poof! blah blah! I was born to fetch tools and wash parts and open beers. I always got one sip from every beer I fetched. Just great memories. To be a part of the racing community my entire life has been a blessing. Admittedly I went the drag racing route but the fellowship and brotherhood is the same across racing regardless, boats, car’s, motorcycles, dirt asphalt or pavement! Soon to be salt! Subtle hint there @71GSSDemon
Hah!
Thanks John! Keep on me about it. I have no money, but I do have a cold ***, non heated garage and winter is setting in. Luckily I have poor lighting also. I have 90% to make it a running, driving C500. We will see when it is done, and I have to remind myself, this isn't just going to be a country road burner anymore. I have to take the time to do it the best that I can.

Pictures...I have been very reluctant to post anything as people are assholes. This will all get turned into, "it would be lucky to go 100mph, I wouldn't drive that thing 25mph, good luck with that POS, etc" I can read it already. So the original intent was to build a rough "Bubba wanted to go do NASCAR circa 1969-70, went broke and pushed it out back" car. Plans changed a little but overall concept is the same. Smooth paint I am learning is important and such. I just wanted to go have fun, whip donuts in a field, play on gravel roads, and not worry about door dings. This is a learning experience.

How I found it and a more recent pics. The car is held together with vice grips just for panel placement and inspiration. Hard to stay motivated at times when it is all in pieces.

I made a 2x4x3/16 square tube chassis bumper to bumper. The front suspension is from a Crown Vic with leaf springs and sliders out back. I have the parts to make it a C500 (flush Coronet grill and flush back window plug) It has a long ways to go, but it is coming along, I am learning a ton and trying to sort out a plan so as to not keep changing things. There was going to be Nascar style door bars, but that may move to a more common X... all of which will wait until the floor, console bars and over axle parts are done, just to make it easier to climb in and out of it. Engine build is just for dreaming, keeping eyes open for parts and a plan.

View attachment 1716164742

View attachment 1716164743

View attachment 1716164744

View attachment 1716164745
I would contact BNI/SCTA and talk to someone regarding your cage. They have specifc requirements. You do not want to get there and be told your dafety equipment is noncompliant. I know other guys have arranged to meet their tech inspectors for pointers. Better to load up and meet before you get too far along. Remember that on the salt low aerodynamic drag and weight are your friends. Some have bolted 1" steel plate to the bottom of the frame. Talk to the tech guys. It will save you in the long run.

I would contact BNI/SCTA and talk to someone regarding your cage. They have specifc requirements. You do not want to get there and be told your dafety equipment is noncompliant. I know other guys have arranged to meet their tech inspectors for pointers. Better to load up and meet before you get too far along. Remember that on the salt low aerodynamic drag and weight are your friends. Some have bolted 1" steel plate to the bottom of the frame. Talk to the tech guys. It will save you in the long run.
I sent an email to the Car Tech Advisor with the SCTA to see if there is anyone in the Midwest to have them look at it or discuss things with. We will see.

I sent an email to the Car Tech Advisor with the SCTA to see if there is anyone in the Midwest to have them look at it or discuss things with. We will see.
They are a pretty good bunch. You may have to haul the car somewhere for one of them to look it over. They will give pointers and tips. Now if you try asking the Speed Demon guys what their cam specs are/were on the 2500HP LS, they may give you some general ideas but the exact specs will be secret. For a cam, talk

to 3 or 4 cam grinders tech depts. Most of the main grinders have experience with LSR engines. When you get 2 or 3 telling you pretty much the same thing, that is whay you go with. Then just to choose who you want to work with.
A LSR engine that has to stay together at wide open throttle for 5 miles is likely going to need some expensive parts inside. This is a long shot from bracket racing.
With El Mirage this weekend is a good time to go talk to people if you can arrange it. Same bunch of people but on a dry lake bed instead of the salt. Traction is still an issue.

-
Back