What If Build Ideas...for Land Speed Racing

-
Thanks John! Keep on me about it. I have no money, but I do have a cold ***, non heated garage and winter is setting in. Luckily I have poor lighting also. I have 90% to make it a running, driving C500. We will see when it is done, and I have to remind myself, this isn't just going to be a country road burner anymore. I have to take the time to do it the best that I can.
You got it Boss, the only thing I read in that post was “Road trip” I can be there in about seven beers! You know I am a heliarcing fool and have a smattering of metal skills. I draw the line at building headers tho. Two sets is enough to last me a lifetime! For enough oatmeal stout I might could fabricate one more set?

I would contact BNI/SCTA and talk to someone regarding your cage. They have specifc requirements. You do not want to get there and be told your dafety equipment is noncompliant. I know other guys have arranged to meet their tech inspectors for pointers. Better to load up and meet before you get too far along. Remember that on the salt low aerodynamic drag and weight are your friends. Some have bolted 1" steel plate to the bottom of the frame. Talk to the tech guys. It will save you in the long run.
We do the exact same thing in drag racing. The tech guys kind of have a side hustle helping to ensure folks build per the rules. Contrary to popular belief most of them genuinely want safety not just to be a Dick. There is invariably someone in your area that will make a house call. It is a priceless investment and will save untold grief. They are typically a wealth of info and are in the hobby for same reason you are, pure passion.

Thanks John! Keep on me about it. I have no money, but I do have a cold ***, non heated garage and winter is setting in. Luckily I have poor lighting also. I have 90% to make it a running, driving C500. We will see when it is done, and I have to remind myself, this isn't just going to be a country road burner anymore. I have to take the time to do it the best that I can.
But how far is it to Chicago, and how much gas and cigarettes we got?

If and when you guys ever get together I see a record of some sort. It might not be a speed record but it’s gonna be fun.

If you contacted them, I believe someone will contact you. How far is another question as there are more drag strips around the country. But there are LSR competitors all over North America. Many also drag race.

If and when you guys ever get together I see a record of some sort. It might not be a speed record but it’s gonna be fun.
Me and John @Sublime one have gotten together and will again. I hope to meet for of the FABO group. I am at about 30ish now

Last edited:
The biggest challenge is building the strongest bottom end valve train you can…
Your not building an engine that runs under WOT for ten seconds but for several minutes. So you want max power but in a way it’s an endurance build…

So the original concept of this thread was...to run WOT for several minutes and have a goal of about 800+ hp, what would you build, on a budget. I look at 3-600hp engines at work all day that can run WOT for hours. I just need to apply Marine mentality with a mopar. It should be 5 minutes or so really.

Last edited:
Why don't you turbo the 383?
Well let's talk about that. 15psi will get me close to goal. What can a factory steel crank handle? What rods and pistons? Is the block ok for that? I have a 1968 383hp. Should be 10:1, 906 heads, a Lunati cam of unknown size at the moment, Edelbrock RPM, and 780 holley. This was a spare motor to get the car moving. Can turbo it, E85 and go. A friend has a simular set up and is running 18psi but for very short time. We need minutes worth.

15 psi basically doubles NA HP, 400 NA HP 383 is pretty easy to do. Can the block and crank handle the power? I'm inclined to think so, others would be better able to judge that.

15 psi basically doubles NA HP, 400 NA HP 383 is pretty easy to do. Can the block and crank handle the power? I'm inclined to think so, others would be better able to judge that.
So, yes if it is 400hp lets say, or even 350, then it gets me 700-800hp in theory. 15psi is still in the GR45 category even. Now, can the stock short block handle that for several minutes???

Why don't you turbo the 383?
That puts you in a different class. BNI/SCTA breaks cars down into:
1: vehicle type; vintage, lakester, streamliner and a bunch more.
2: engine displacement. They break it down in ranges.
3: NA or Blown
4: fuel; G is gasoline (sold on site), F for fuel meaning alcohol, nitro, diesel.
If you get a rule book it breaks it down so when you see 3 or 4 letters on the side of a vehicle you can figure out exactly which category they are running, engine size range, whether supercharged and an idea of the fuel they are running.
The serious people try to pick an engine combination just under the displacement break.
Over a displacement puts you in unlimited. For stability I would think a front wheel drive Toronado or Cadillac, poked and stroked would work. Would need a set of real tall gears in the differential. My reasoning is that with the salt being kind of slippery, if you break traction in a RWD it is easy to spin out. With FWD the car still stays fairly straight.
The goal for many is to go over 200MPH 2 days in a row to get a 200MPH hat. There are other hats for 300MPH, 400MPH and 500MPH.
It can be an expensive hobby and the faster you wish to go the cost goes up by exponents.

So, yes if it is 400hp lets say, or even 350, then it gets me 700-800hp in theory. 15psi is still in the GR45 category even. Now, can the stock short block handle that for several minutes???
The hardest part to keep under control for minutes at a time on 15psi is air intake temps. They get out of hand quickly as boost goes up and not being able to keep temps down can end badly. This says 2 things to me, 1. Blow through carburetor to take advantage of the latent heat of vaporization up high in the intake (that fuel injection doesn’t have) and 2. A very efficient water to air intercooler. The short block will be fine at the 7-800 level if it has good oil control and constant pressure. For some reason I like a 383 here.

Last edited:
If my goal was mph and not trying to set a class record I would go for the most CID I could, na or blower. I also think 800hp is about 400 short of 200mph.

The Big Red Camaro with it's 850hp version back in the day ran a top speed of 222 mph and average of 198 mph at the Silver State Challenge.

I'd build the safety to be able to run 200+ mph, but engine wise run what you got see what it does and like you said work out the bugs and go from there, can always go up in steps like 25 mph better than previous year.

I wouldn't worry about the 200 mph engine for now just focus on what you got and the First speed limit hurdle you have to pass to be able to run the next level. And then plan from there, you'll have a better idea where you need to go.

If my goal was mph and not trying to set a class record I would go for the most CID I could, na or blower. I also think 800hp is about 400 short of 200mph.
There are many classes at BNI/SCTA events. You could run a 100cc go kart and set a class record. You have to analyze the classes and engine breaks and determine which one can get you to a class record. Getting the largest displacement for a class helps get the required power. You want to get the biggest engine you can, you will be running against the big dogs in the unlimited class. That is where you find Speed Demon with 2500HP LS engines. You need deeeep pockets to play there.

To break a class record probably cost big money. I think this more for fun personal record type thing.

The Big Red Camaro with it's 850hp version back in the day ran a top speed of 222 mph and average of 198 mph at the Silver State Challenge.

I'd build the safety to be able to run 200+ mph, but engine wise run what you got see what it does and like you said work out the bugs and go from there, can always go up in steps like 25 mph better than previous year.

I wouldn't worry about the 200 mph engine for now just focus on what you got and the First speed limit hurdle you have to pass to be able to run the next level. And then plan from there, you'll have a better idea where you need to go.
Big Red did run 222MPH, but had an advantage at the Silver State called ashphalt.
You are correct in recommending to build for 200MPH+. For licensing you run on the 2 mile track and they give you MPH steps to go to. Achieve the first step without incident and move to the next. On the short course I believe the speed limit is 175MPH. Do that safely and you get to move to the long course. Tech guys will fill a person in.

Big Red did run 222MPH, but had an advantage at the Silver State called ashphalt.

True I didn't think about that :) I think he went over 260 mph on the salts with his latest engine 1050 hp engine.

Probably the first couple of seasons or so will be just working the bugs out and getting to feel right where you feel confident to run these high speeds, then you can focus on the 175 mph then go from there.

-
Back