What If Build Ideas...for Land Speed Racing

-
I think drag racing (no time, no prep, grudge type stuff) and land speed racing are similar in that regard, it is nice to have more power than you need to run the number, it’s always easier to tune away 100,200,500hp than it is to make that much more.

Do they allow traction control in any of the classes?
In the unlimited streamlines they do because Speed Demon has it. I know the classic class is no. I was figuring on Classic Gas Altered based on my talk with Steve Davies. If turbo then CBGALT or CBFALT if running E85 or methanol.

In the unlimited streamlines they do because Speed Demon has it. I know the classic class is no. I was figuring on Classic Gas Altered based on my talk with Steve Davies. If turbo then CBGALT or CBFALT if running E85 or methanol.

Ah ok, sounds like it’s classic right foot traction control for you then.

I’ll have to look and see if I can find the rules for those classes.

Got a bunch done on the car the last couple weeks. Winter is setting in this week and next...read not a heated garage, so work will slow to a crawl at best. Just starting the trimming for the tubs. Deciding how high to mount them. Not a huge tire, but will allow the car to be very low if needed.

20240105_135430.jpg

20240105_135237.jpg

20231230_124739.jpg

Low is very important. Anything you can do to get the air to go around or over the car instead of under it will help.

Low is very important. Anything you can do to get the air to go around or over the car instead of under it will help.
I have been trying to think of a rubber type product that could be used as flexible skirting for wheel to wheel and front spoiler/splitter. Something that can also be removed for street duty. Lots of reading about rear spoilers, end plates, etc also.

Still not 100% on what to do for an engine, but the 383 will be in to get some break in time and maybe a first license.

I have been trying to think of a rubber type product that could be used as flexible skirting for wheel to wheel and front spoiler/splitter.
We use a semi rigid plastic (polyethylene?) on our race trucks that Kartek sells in bulk. I’ll see if I can find a link. It’s very easy to use and shape and holds its form well. Mounted with tabs and dzus fasteners. You want something fairly rigid that the wind won’t deflect.

Sides I bet you could do 1/8” but front I’d definitely use 3/16”.

Sides I bet you could do 1/8” but front I’d definitely use 3/16”.
Understood. Was looking at some Nascar cars on TV yesterday, the video was them crashing, so it was convenient to have them upside down for ideas...

Next you’ll be trying to put roof flaps on your bonneville car.

Next you’ll be trying to put roof flaps on your bonneville car.

I actually want to. I also went down a rabbit hole on Landspeed.com with roof flaps, hinged Pro Stock spoilers, end plates, etc in case it ever spun around. To me keeping it straight is the best idea. I likely wont have to worry as much as the cars that are actually fast.

I wouldn't be against a spoiler like this GTO has when it comes time to

Bonneville Spoiler.JPG

So, I got the rear closeout panels to the tubs in, the cross bars from the main hoop back, a center roof bar, and reinstalled the engine bay to A pillar bars (more brace tubes and engine plate mount will go in yet). I also reversed the floor mount Tilton pedal assemblies so they can hang from the dash bar. This makes for much better positioning. Have to make the brackets yet. Got the headers a week or so ago. It is amazing that Schoenfeld will make any small block chevy header with a big block mopar flange if you call and ask.

20240202_165630.jpg

20240202_180741.jpg

20240202_180752.jpg

20240203_131509.jpg

20240204_124418.jpg

20240204_150728.jpg

20240126_163234.jpg

20240126_163240.jpg

I decided to add some roof cross bars, have filled in some of the console, and started the firewall.. Now waiting on the SCTA, for input so far.

20240225_142909.jpg

20240222_170846.jpg

20240225_142855.jpg

20240223_135629.jpg

Began fitting the back window plug for the C500 treatment.

20240304_181158.jpg

So, I heard back from Steve Davies and SCTA. Chassis got the thumbs up so far. I can add the additional structure I thought about and move forward! woohoo. Now discussing the legality of the Charger 500 as there weren't 500 examples made but the rear window is production for the Daytona so, it is a discussion now. Either way, I will be very short of a record, so it doesn't matter too much. Game on.....

So, I have been making more progress. I got the 383 converted to the truck pan/pickup and in the car with a scatter shield/block saver. This is the first time the engine being used was put in and trans bolted up. And the back window filler panels are done and installed with screws right now.

Now I am taking a pause before making the engine plate and trans mounts. Need to pull the motor out of the Demon to fix an oil leak, change gears back to 3.23 for the freeway trip to MITP, etc.

If anything is going to keep me from actually running at Bonneville, it is going to be the safety equipment. Fire suits to SFI 3.2-20, -15 gloves, boots, etc. Arm restraints, door net, helmet, fire suppression system for both engine and driver, Hans device. So much has potential to expire before they ever get bolted in, rain cancellation, or car issues. I can't get my head around how this stuff expires without ever being used. Up to 150mph in street class, the 60 year old, coffee and beer stained, roach clip burned factory belts are legal, but new (even never used) 5pt harness is expired and needs replaced. Bellhousings, harmonic balancers, flywheel, clutch, etc.

Ok Rant done - for now

20240309_173843.jpg

383 In.jpg

Most of your personal saftey gear can be re certified if you send it back to the manufacturer for a fraction of new cost. I used to send my suit, helmet, and HANS device in for recert all the time when we were off road racing.

Most of your personal saftey gear can be re certified if you send it back to the manufacturer for a fraction of new cost. I used to send my suit, helmet, and HANS device in for recert all the time when we were off road racing.
I know very little of this process, but it is overwhelming to think about so much money,

So, I posed a question on Landracing.com as to how everybody does the purchase, expire, recert. It seems I am reading things that are not in the rule books. I was told to not read what isn't there as for specs, recerts and SFI on everything. Time to take more time and see what it says.

-
Back