today a friend of mine told me the get a wire from the
alternator directly to the starter relay
it seem to work but if turn on the light with that wire in place
the amp meter show like it doesnt charge at all

I know you will say disconnect that amp meter but
Im far from wire guy dont matter about engine,trans etc
but electrical stuff aint for me except maybe bulb light and fuse
not more than that for me

wil it work with that wire or no is it gonna hurt something???

What you have done is to power your "big" accessories on the battery side of the ammeter which makes it read incorrectly. Really, the only practical thing to do is go ahead and bypass the ammeter, yup, run a wire from the alternator to the starter relay, and then, depending on what dash you have, see about converting to a voltmeter

Some reading:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

voltmeter:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=119480&highlight=ammeter+conversion

Agreed. You just bypassed your alternator. That will spare it and the dash wiring and connectors from overheating, but doesn't mean your alternator is keeping up with your load. You are now just "flying blind".

That has been true for all my cars since 1982. When the idiot "low voltage" light comes on, I already know the battery is low because the car won't start or, if driving, the ignition starts missing and the headlights get real dim. In my 2002 Chrysler, I got no warning until the engine died and the gear selector showed all gears lit (electronic A-613 tranny). What you need is a voltmeter. I now use a cigarette-lighter voltmeter in my newer cars so no electrical surprises on the road. I have a nice one (Equis, $15 Amazon) but see some for $4 on ebay. When fine it reads ~14.5 V with the engine running.

Of course, if you alt can't keep up, get a bigger one. The square-back is a direct fit and gives almost double the round-back. Newer Denso's are better, but trickier to mount. Some get a GM 1-wire type.

-
Back