What ignition system?

-

coolbreeze

LoweLife
Reaction score
OK - Let's here some options; I am still running a stock points distrib and want to upgrade. I have used the Petronix kits in the past and like them. I also see I can get a Procomp "ready to run" distrib for about the same price as the Petronix kit. Kind of seems like the better way to go (distrib, cap, rotor included vs. using my old w/ petronix). Any one have any suggestions? I have also looked into the Mopar conversion kit.

got everything to do my conversion out of a van in the junk yard for $25 works great

i converted my wifes 66 valiant to electronic using a gm hei 4 pin mod. and the stock magnetic pickup dizzy.works really good.

The HEI module is similar to a 4 pin Chrysler controller. It can be wired up to a stock Chrysler electronic (not, to my knowledge, points) distributor. Fairly cheap to set up, and you can eliminate the ballast resistor if it's paired with a HEI type coil.

Pertronix is pretty affordable and drops in like changing points. I used to have it on my Dart and it worked great, and it's about the easiest electronic ignition there is.

I have no experience with the Procomp distributor, but my general experience with cut rate Chinese knockoff parts has been so bad I would only use a precision part from such a company if I first disassembled it and checked key parts with a micrometer and Brinell hardness tester.

The HEI module is similar to a 4 pin Chrysler controller. It can be wired up to a stock Chrysler electronic (not, to my knowledge, points) distributor. Fairly cheap to set up, and you can eliminate the ballast resistor if it's paired with a HEI type coil.

Pertronix is pretty affordable and drops in like changing points. I used to have it on my Dart and it worked great, and it's about the easiest electronic ignition there is.

I have no experience with the Procomp distributor, but my general experience with cut rate Chinese knockoff parts has been so bad I would only use a precision part from such a company if I first disassembled it and checked key parts with a micrometer and Brinell hardness tester.
x2...the procomp stuff is junk.i used a msd blaster coil and bypassed the ballast resistor.if you do a gogle search you can find the wiring diagram fur the hei conversion.

IMO, I'd just add a MSD or equal unit to the distributor you have and get some extra mileage outta her.

-
Back