What Ignition to use

-
I have been running a big yellow Accell SuperCoil,sq top,P4120889 since about 2002. It has fired without fail for about 120,000 miles.
I have been running the same used factory pick-up since 2004. I think it was out of my hi-mileage 73 Dart;so it may have over 230,000 miles on it.Probably.
I have been running a Jacob's ECU with dial-back advance feature,also since about 2002 to 2004; not sure. And Jacobs wires.

As to ballasts;
The Accell uses it's own ballast, which has never failed, and the Jacobs uses none.
The first couple of years, I ran a Mopar Orange box kit. It ran fine. One day after much research, I coughed up the coin for a Jacobs CDI system. I think it was a multi spark,too.It let me down twice. Jacobs fixed it both times, but it still cost me shipping. The first time,I used the Orange box until my stuff came back.After the second time, I went to the Accell. I already had the Jacobs DB(DialBackAdvance) Ecu and was running it alongside their CDI. There is a switch in that DB unit that allows it to be used as a stand-alone, so I hit it and used it to fire the Accell. Long story short, I still have the repaired Jacobs CDI kit, still in it's return shipping box.I'm scared to plug it in and risk another tow-job.
I ran the factory dual-ballast wiring loom alongside the aftermarket stuff for a few years, thinking that if anything failed miles from nowhere,I could swap the factory stuff back in.Eventually I cut all that stuff out, and cleaned up the harness.
That sq top goes to 7200 without fail. I've seen it go higher.I know the Mopar catalog says not recommended for rpms over 6500......but I've had no issues.

Last edited:
Well just about EVERYONE I know running at the track are using MSD systems so finding someone with something I MIGHT need would probably be pretty easy...

-
Back