what is a K frame

-

rdb

Reaction score
Talking to local people bout the v8 to slant swap in a '64 dart. I have heard here it requires new motor mounts.. (makes sense) but a guy here says somethign about 'changing K frame'.

Is that part of the deal?

had another question re dash -- if you changed a PB auto to manual, you'd still have the far left dash panel w/ holes in it, The dash is of course welded in, correct, but coudl that auto trans panel be removed and then replaced by the one that just has the lights and wipers?

That is the main sub frame in the front of the car that goes between the front frame rails and holds the engine and front suspension.

The k-frame engine mounts are usually different from slant 6 to v-8. You would have to either change the k frame to a v-8 one, or get a set of shumacher slant 6 to v-8 conversion engine mounts. If he doesn't have an extra k-frame to throw in on the deal, it is up to you....

The dash boards can be removed. You have to take out the windshield to get to the screws at the front of the dash frame. then there should be a "blank" panel that goes where the push button trans controls were if you have a floor mounted manual trans. You would have to find a dash from a manual trans car, or at least get the bezel for that section for yours.

early A bodies use the same K member slant or small block.
only the mounts are different. you will also need a V* centerlink for those early A's

View attachment image.jpgThe dash is not welded in, its just bolted! You don need to remove the dash however, as the shifter delete plate will just unbolt/bolt right in! The factory did try to simplify things somewhat, and of course there were a couple different ways a car could come in 64.....4 speed, dash mounted pushbutton, and floor mounted cable shifter!

You'll need to find one of these....its from a 64 Barracuda! Yours may differ, but one nut and the wiper and light bezel nuts later and its out!! Reverse process for reassembly!!

Yep, as mentioned above, the K Frame is the same from /6 to V8 in 64-66 cars, so just a motor mount change, the dropped center link from a V8 car, and the gas pedal will get the motor in there!! You'll also be looking for V8 exhaust manifolds and a couple other minor items, but you'll get it in there! Geof

Thank you for all this info. Lots to chew on. Would be hoping just to find the bezel/plate for the manual trans, whether floor or column. I think I mis stated, what I mean is I want to go from a V-8 to a six.

also, a related dash bezel question -- for ones that had later radios/tape, etc. put in place of original am radio, you would hope the dash was not cut but if it was---- is that a separate part that can be found and just bolted in to replace the cut one?

To clarify, you will need the steel "engine brackets" that bolt to the engine (each side) and the rubber isolators that go between the mounts and K-frame. Many term both the brackets and isolators "motor mounts". Late engine brackets (73+?) use spool isolators that won't fit your K-frame. The 67-72 engine brackets might be identical to 62-66 ones.

Since going to a slant, you can keep the V-8 center-link. If rebuilding the steering, you could probably swap it for a slant one plus pay you almost $100 since many want yours.

Here's a V8 Kframe, later version

Attachments

• WP_20140709_19_19_27_Pro.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 160
Here's the scoop on 64 Radios... The bezel is a seperate piece, and is rather unique because the buttons each have their own holes in the bezel, not like the later radios that have one slot! What's that?? Pictures you say???...

Top is a 64 radio from a Cuda, bottom is a 65!! Yes, they are for sale!!! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 164
Thank you for all this info. Lots to chew on. Would be hoping just to find the bezel/plate for the manual trans, whether floor or column. I think I mis stated, what I mean is I want to go from a V-8 to a six.

also, a related dash bezel question -- for ones that had later radios/tape, etc. put in place of original am radio, you would hope the dash was not cut but if it was---- is that a separate part that can be found and just bolted in to replace the cut one?

Sometimes that is part of the metal dash frame. It can be changed, but I think that you have to remove the windshield to get the dash frame out as the screws are along the top of the dash along the bottom of the windshield.

-
Back