What Is A Respectable Time??

-
same here goody every time I fire my car and rev it the cops come, but they dont catch me on the times I ran it on slicks and did a 2 block long burnout ,they missed me by 2 minutes as I had already pulled into the driveway and gotten out of the car, I do understand the safety factors involved, these are not flat out blasts just some friends doing burnout contests he siad your engines hot and I replied race engines run hot he shook his finger at me then left, jeez the whole road I live on has been repaved with rubber its amazing heh

anything over 70 decibals is against the law I was told , heck a weedwhacker is louder than that

goody ,on any given tuesday night at the treasure coast mall in jensen beach there is a plenora of mopars including several daytona and superbird wing cars, I love it here but hate the taxes.

goody I run aluminum stage 6 heads with a .700 plus roller and it will run on 93 just fine, I do add a gallon of 110 to 15 gallons of 93 though

anything over 70 decibals is against the law I was told , heck a weedwhacker is louder than that

Yep, the Flowmasters on the Duster are like the rooster crowing on steroids three times a week at 615 am when I drive the car to work.

I cant even turn on the damn electric mower without the elderly (atleast over 60) coming outside his house and putting his hands on his hips. I just look at him and smile, thinking, "I dare you to come over here and harass me" My father will be working on his Charger (1966) and he will walk outside and do the same thing when he hears a box end wrench fall on the ground. My dad will actually shake his head in return at him. Cops have been over before and told me to go to the park, if I want to run the cars. No body else complains, but the man across the street. I am not obnoxious. I simply told the officers that that is unfair and I am not dragging my tools down the street, plain and simple.

If there is a furthur problem, I will see them in court.

fast to me is what ever you are content on running. like a 318 in the 12's or 13's , its a what 318, yes thats fast, a stroked 440 with 13.1 and alumium heads, and tubbed, running 12 or 13's, still fast but not as impressive, but if who ever owns it is happy with it thats all that matters. theres 3 kinds of cars to me #1 a race car is all race and no street driving, none #2 is an old hot rod, a tagged an insured street car with a hopped up motor that you might have to mix racing gas with sometimes or not, and take it to local cruise ins or for joyrides including burnouts, then # 3 a mostly stock car fixed up pretty nice that is pump gas only, drive on vacation or anywhere you wanted with no worrys and no constent tuning every week to drive on the weekend, get in and go, so when you ask what fast is you have to decide what you want to build and what you would enjoy the most because different types of combo's have different fast time slips, its what makes you happy8)

fast to me is what ever you are content on running. like a 318 in the 12's or 13's , its a what 318, yes thats fast, a stroked 440 with 13.1 and alumium heads, and tubbed, running 12 or 13's, still fast but not as impressive, but if who ever owns it is happy with it thats all that matters. theres 3 kinds of cars to me #1 a race car is all race and no street driving, none #2 is an old hot rod, a tagged an insured street car with a hopped up motor that you might have to mix racing gas with sometimes or not, and take it to local cruise ins or for joyrides including burnouts, then # 3 a mostly stock car fixed up pretty nice that is pump gas only, drive on vacation or anywhere you wanted with no worrys and no constent tuning every week to drive on the weekend, get in and go, so when you ask what fast is you have to decide what you want to build and what you would enjoy the most because different types of combo's have different fast time slips, its what makes you happy8)

Amen to that.

I think the OP to this thread will be happy with what he is running in that 318 dart, as well as he should be for how it is built. That is, unless he wants to go quicker, then he will need to go furthur into the motor.

I know I will want to get my Duster into the 11s eventually. It will take extensive additional engine work, but I am determined to do it with the teen in this car. I love a challenge.

goody I run aluminum stage 6 heads with a .700 plus roller and it will run on 93 just fine, I do add a gallon of 110 to 15 gallons of 93 though

sounds like fun. i just seem to prefer the fun of forced induction, theres a sb stroker twin turbo cuda that laid down 895rwhp. thats sounds like a riot! i think last time i hear he was doing low low 5's in the 8th mile. cookin!

Respectable....sometihng that is generally one way in the hot rod world. You'll get some only from those you have defeated. You might feel some from those whom you threaten or can defeat but yet have not.

Those that can beat you will give you none and maybe, just maybe, you'll get Kudos from them.

If your 318 runs under 13.99, IMO your doin fine. BUT, re-read the above again just so you know what you face in the first street light race.

Then you'll go back under the hood and give it about a grand in serious upgrades and knock a second off the time only to get pasted by some other clown.

Bottom line, theres allways someone faster. And, like most, they'll gloat over it.

The true bottom line, build it to enjoy it.

doesn't take much to beat my 200hp car :(

P1000012.jpg

:D

Come on guys , take it easy. I would say 14's are on par with the 318. You know there are a lot of claims of 12,11,and 10 second street cars. I've traveled the u.s. and lived in a few different states. When I lived in california I ran a junkyard 340(stock j's, 480 lift cam, headers. etc stock bottom) stock 727, 321gear shifted at 7500. I had a guy approch me talking how his mustang could run 13s, so we agreed to go to the track and match them up. long story short I ran 13.60 at 103 and he ran a 14.8 at 89. So moral of the story don't believe what people are saying 14s are respectable. Go out and beat on it.

I'm not arguing the fact that most of the people you approach on the streets are going to be nothing more than a bunch of blow-hards, but if/when you do decide to get into the street scene of any area...I still say be ready to run. AND, while 14sec is impressive enough out of a 318... when you dive into a street scene 14sec will be nothing. Just like I said earlier in this thread, there are guys (let me state now, WITH proven time slips from the track thats about an hour away) that are driving 10,11,12sec cars as daily drivers. These guys are religious about DRIVING their cars to the track every weekend and running them. Now, we don't all have a 10sec car that is a streeter... but we don't all want that either. I still say to be truly happy build it for you and be happy with it. If 14sec is what you're happy with and what you can build right now, either from experience or financially then be okay with that. I will give respect to any person that is willing to dip in, get their hands dirty, and build their car as long as they have put their blood, sweat, and tears into at least part of the car. If you have a 10sec car that someone else built for you compared to a 14sec car that you built, the 14sec car gets more of my respect. It kills me to see a guy brag about a car he had nothing to do with but start the engine and put it in gear. Just not as impressive as the guy that spent weeks in his shop/garage building an engine to drop into his car.

Worse comes to worse, again, I say build it your way and enjoy it. If you are happy with what your car does, how it looks, how it drives and what you've put into it then everyone else is just someone with an opinion...and opinions are like :bootysha:... everyone has one and just remember it's not always the fastest car that gets the most respect

I wasn't trying to get anyone in an uproar. I'm with you the only true car guy is the guy that spends all of his time wrenching on his beater just to find that tenth. I used to go to the junkyard every sunday(my church) until I moved back to Iowa, just to find that used ignition for $20. I have a freind that had someone do a majority of the work on his car and sure he makes 1200hp at the rear wheels and is streetable. The thing about it he don't drive it on the street because its to expensive to fix. I say build it, thrash it, and fix it thats what it all about.

I have a freind / sure he makes 1200hp at the rear wheels and is streetable. The thing about it he don't drive it on the street because its to expensive to fix. I say build it, thrash it, and fix it thats what it all about.

The in bold is the best part and where it's at baby. If ya aint havin fun, your doin something wrong!

The in bold is the best part and where it's at baby. If ya aint havin fun, your doin something wrong!

Also correct. Sometimes you dont have to be the quickest of the quick to have fun, win, and get respect. True cars guys experiment with their rides, beat on them, tinker some more, beat on them, break them, go to the junkyard and build another motor, beat on it some more, ect. Its a great stress relieving activity every night when I come home from work and college.

Those who have money to throw into a car that runs fast and never touch the motor themselves or drive on the street for fear of tearing something are truely not car crafters. JMHO8)

AGREED!!!

You know, I didn't start rebuilding motors and doing body work at 14 years old because it was something I had to do. I wanted to do it, it intrigued me to find out what made it tick and how such small changes made it "tick" faster. It still to this day intrigues me...tearing into a new project is like diving into the best book you ever read. You know there are a million chapters ahead of you and that there are going to be bumps in the story along the way, but for some reason you just can't put it down until you're done. AND, when you're done it leaves you wanting more so you find another to begin a whole new adventure. Who cares about ETs, who cares about who beats who unless it comes to again being a racing professional. My cars are my hard work poured into them with every hour hard fought to pass by...if someone else doesn't like what I've done, that's their loss...not mine.

Mike

Who cares about ETs

Me!!..i put a LOT of time and money into my car,to see how much faster i can go year to year,some people like showing their cars, others like to just drive on the street i like to see that e.t. slip after every run,puts a big smile on my face for a job well done...

Is a 14 sec. 318 respectable? Is that considered fast? I know there are guys here in the 10's or even 12's but for a street car is 14 good?

A respectable time is ANY time that gets your heart pounding when you cross the finish line. Oh, and it's so much easier to go from not so quick to quick, than the other way around.

Who cares about ETs

Me too! I absolutely do. Now i certainly have nothing remotely fast. however, it's gone 'this' fast...right here, on paper, known for a fact. Thats great someone can have a '500hp 350'...yea well he may be running street tires, cant drive it wortha crap and he gets spanked by something less 'quick' but controlled better and the entire combination is better overall.

Horsepower is useless if you cant put it to the ground..

launching a 10 flat car on the street with street race radials, lets just say you better have a rev limiter or shift like a pro them rpm stac up real fast when you cant hook, dont even bother with the transbrake lol

launching a 10 flat car on the street with street race radials, lets just say you better have a rev limiter or shift like a pro them rpm stac up real fast when you cant hook, dont even bother with the transbrake lol

not on radials but from where i come from there is a few streetcars taking of from a transbrake ;)

Not saying "Who cares about ETs" as in we don't want to know how fast our cars are/how they are performing, just meant as compared to others... I totally agree that a guy runnin 500HP on the street is great if that's what he wants... but I'm not going to compare a mildly built 318 to those standards, there is no use for it. That is simply all I was stating. Yes, we all know that we care how our cars perform, but some comparisons are just out of the question and when you start worrying about ETs before the engine is built, you are worrying without reason. Build the engine, run the car, get a slip, compare to other guys with similar builds and see where you need to improve or if you are pretty much right on target... As far as the original question of the thread... Respectable is going to be all about who you ask...

I think what ever makes you happy is what it should all be about.
My 318 I love!
Now whats done to it:
318 30 over
kb399
360 heads milled .035 1.88/1.60
erson .488/.510 234/244
ed air gap
650 holley dp
904 trans 3500 stall
8 3/4 4.10 gears
I care about my ET's but there is always somone faster like my dad!
But he's running a 360 and only .04's faster.

-
Back