What is best way to finish door interior?

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I want to remove the door and window mechanisms in my doors and then have the bodyshop prime the door, including the interior. Would this be too extreme? Am I better off to paint the interior with POR15 versus epoxy primer? Can the body shop even get complete coverage of the interior with the spray gun? What does everyone else do?

You are on the right track to stop rust. You have a few options. You can remove all rust to metal prime with epoxy and use an amber coat to preserve it similiar to factory. I have used a kbs system also similiar to por 15 system. If you dont remove rust it will eat from under into your new exterior paint and ruin the car you have spent time and money one. Its a good investment.

The door skin is folded around the inner structure. That is where they hold moisture and rust.
There are rust convert/prevent products that are water thin and will flow into anywhere water can go. The earliest patented product I used was called Neutra-Rust ( about 1984 ).
The first thing you'll have to do is pressure wash 40 years of nasty that has found its way into those tiny places. I apply the rust ender generously with a trigger spray bottle and push it with a whisper of compressed air.
What you use in the open fields that dont show rust today is up to you. If it aint rusted already it's probably not going to.
White paint has its benefits.

You could try Eastwood's internal frame coating. It has a long tube with a nozzle that has 4 holes in it. It runs a little like water so it gets into all the cracks and crevices really well. With that long tube, you know you'll be getting into all those hard to reach places.

You could try Eastwood's internal frame coating. It has a long tube with a nozzle that has 4 holes in it. It runs a little like water so it gets into all the cracks and crevices really well. With that long tube, you know you'll be getting into all those hard to reach places.

Have you tried it? If you have does it dry hard or does it stay soft? It might be messy trying to re-install the internals if it stays soft.

Have you tried it? If you have does it dry hard or does it stay soft? It might be messy trying to re-install the internals if it stays soft.

Yes I've been using it. I would say that it isn't necessarily rock hard when it dries, but the bits that have run out of holes in the frame can't be picked or scratched off with a fingernail. I can't even get my fingernail to dig into it. It seems to be pretty tough stuff.

-
Back