What is "correct" for undercar undercoating?

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
I am close to the point where I will have The Duke's underside completely rust-free and coated with Rust-Oleum Rust Converter. This car had some sort of tar undercoating over the paint underneath (poorly and spottedly applied) and I want to stick to close-to-original. I was going to paint the underside with the body color paint of choice, but If I'm undercoating over it, who gives a rat's ***? You won't see the color anyway!
Anyway, did Chrysler originally undercoat the entire body, and if so, what is recommended as a spray-on? Westley's, or something else?

Oh, sorry.....'72 Plymouth Duster

My '69 Sport Satellite has undercoating from bumper to bumper (probably why the frame rails and floor pans are still in good shape), which I believe was factory.

As for what's good?

I've used 3M before out of a schutz gun with good results. Heavy, sticks, and doesn't want to puddle.

Captain,
great to see you are working on the Duke again!!!!
After I primed the underneath of the car I used a "rustolium" Product called Truck bed liner. It comes in spray cans and goes on relatively thin and appears to be fairly tough. I know its not factory, but it looks like its going to last.
Andrew

My '69 Sport Satellite has undercoating from bumper to bumper (probably why the frame rails and floor pans are still in good shape), which I believe was factory.

As for what's good?

I've used 3M before out of a schutz gun with good results. Heavy, sticks, and doesn't want to puddle.

My GTX was/is undercoated. I need to go dig up my fender tag but I believe it came out of the Windsor plant.

So is my Dart which also came from the Windsor plant.

Ditto on the 3M.

I have a 72 duster and mine was undercoated from the factory (rock solid underneath) and the factory stuff is very thick and unattractive looking lol....and kind of spotty....I am sure it came down the line and go a couple pass's of the gone and was on its way.

I am undercoating mine with rubberised spray can undercoat....I think its made by dupli color.

The stuff takes a few days to fully dry but when it does it has a nice rubbery coating and it lays on evenly and smooth and really shows off the shape of your under body metal because it flows with the contours well.... I would say it sprays on at about a 32nd of an ".....thats just with a coverage coat...you could build it up more with a few more passes.

I would say about 4 or 5 cans would completely coat the underside and at a cost of about $6.00 per can.

My paint store sells some even nicer stuff (not sure of brand name) but its $16.00 a can

I am close to the point where I will have The Duke's underside completely rust-free and coated with Rust-Oleum Rust Converter. This car had some sort of tar undercoating over the paint underneath (poorly and spottedly applied) and I want to stick to close-to-original. I was going to paint the underside with the body color paint of choice, but If I'm undercoating over it, who gives a rat's ***? You won't see the color anyway!
Anyway, did Chrysler originally undercoat the entire body, and if so, what is recommended as a spray-on? Westley's, or something else?

Oh, sorry.....'72 Plymouth Duster

Be careful with the "rust converter." You said that you will have it "completely rust free...." Many rust converter products are specifically for use on surfaces WITH rust. If there is no rust present, they can actually create rust. Not sure about the Rustoleum product, but I would double check just to be safe.

Be careful with the "rust converter." You said that you will have it "completely rust free...." Many rust converter products are specifically for use on surfaces WITH rust. If there is no rust present, they can actually create rust. Not sure about the Rustoleum product, but I would double check just to be safe.

Well, OK...maybe I exaggerate a bit. As "rust-free" as a whirling porcupine (wire wheel) on the end of an electric drill will allow, which as you can surmise, still leaves some pitted metal and iron oxide deposits behind!
I am considering painting over the converter with regular Rust-Oleum paint, and then undercoating. This car will never see salt or winter driving again as long as I own it, so maybe this is overkill....but this is a job I never want to do again. So it needs to be right!

I would go with the bedliner material mentioned above. The original stuff looks like someone slopped on tar by hand. The spray-on will look good, be pleny tuff for your application, and seems to be pretty user friendly. Good luck!

in the 70ds when I ordered may demon the factor only uder coated a little and the quality was poor most mopars were done by the dealer prior to del some in the northern (snow states) did a great job other did a very poor job but it was mostly a dealer installed opion

-
Back