what is it about excessive cubes??

-
i have plenty of association with rb and hemi cars (real hemi, not just my pretend six's) ones a hemi challenger, anothers a 440 6 pack chally, his exact words are "it's a thirsty pig of a thing".

Just that i'm a big fan of daily drivers, and it scares me the thought (what with escilating fuel costs etc..).

So do you, compromise with a smallblock or slant? or go all out and only drive it once a week?

maybe i'm getting old and loosing interest?? (27 WTF!!)

Well, more cubes, more gas. Simple as that and very very true.
More cubes equals more torque. And it's great if you build the engine, stock stroke or not with torque as a mjor function goal of the engine. Torque adding items like zero gap rings, piston/cylinder head coatings, roller cams and of course the extra stroke to really kick it up a notch.

These higher torque engines if built with care can provide your car with asphalt ripping performance from starting line to finish. Properly geared helps alot. A little lower and it never runs out of torque.

If I need a compromise, and it's gotta have decent mileage with something in a decent HP area, I think a well thought out combo with a blower would be the best and most powerful engine you could do. However, a blower, roots or centrifical, will add a clear 3 G's to the project.

A 360 IMO makes the best street car with it's longer stroke over the others with 3.31 for them. 3.58 for the 360. Add what I mentioned before and a super charger, it should be an easy, almost no brainer 400+ HP with torque on demand.
You won't need a big cam or a large carb. Your driving on the primarys to begin with, try and stay there when at cruise.

:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10: holy piss i got to ride in a 543" power wagon it was SWEET

The real truth is with more cubes you can go just as fast with less cam and less rpm and a higher ratio rear gear which means much better driveability and cruising! Not to mention the low rpm torque!

...If you've never driven a big older American car with a 440, 455, 454, 460, or a Caddy 500 that can fry the tires for a block right from the factory with just a bit of tuning, you just don't know what your missing. :) Especially when the secondaries open on the highway, lol!

The 383 in my Road Runner has never had any work done to it other than new stem seals put on it back in '77. Been in my family since day one, so I know for fact. It will still melt the 245/60/15s and make em scream in third gear, but there is just nothing like the sound when I slam it into 3rd at 5500rpm.

People will get out of the way :evil4:

It's a macho thing for sure. If you had a 5" tool your not as likely to brag about it and show to anybody that will look, as say you had a 10" tool? Huh, right?

But like my buddy said,"when you got a little tool, you just gotta turn the RPM up!"

It's a macho thing for sure. If you had a 5" tool your not as likely to brag about it and show to anybody that will look, as say you had a 10" tool? Huh, right?

But like my buddy said,"when you got a little tool, you just gotta turn the RPM up!"

LOL, Ohhhhh boui!!!!!!

I got a eight and a ten..... for whatever mood im in!

I'm not sure I wanna go there on this one, buttttttt what ever makes'em smile.................

LOL!!!!!!

The 383 in my Road Runner has never had any work done to it other than new stem seals put on it back in '77. Been in my family since day one, so I know for fact. It will still melt the 245/60/15s and make em scream in third gear, but there is just nothing like the sound when I slam it into 3rd at 5500rpm.

People will get out of the way :evil4:

No doubt!! It's a beautiful thing. :-D The 383 is underated IMHO.

Had a friend, I referred to, as, "Dumb Texan Buddy Brad". (No offense to texans, he was just DUMB)

Standing around the campfire, about ten years ago, drinking beer with the guys, someone made the comment he had stacks on his Dodge one ton because he was lacking somewhere else........

Famous quote........

"You ain't gotta be big, you just gotta' be fast, cuz' fast is what they like"....

Thats what he said, serious, and with confidence.......

I love my 390, power, and it says 318 on the side.

I would love to build a 273 for my 2x Ramcharger tho.

Hmm.... You'd have to gear it up for sure and 33x12.5's are out of the question. What's you're altitude up there in AK? How do you use it? Any offroading?

its just a 2 wheel drive Ramcharger, 3.55 gears, no OD. I built a healthy 318 for it, but fear gas will go through the roof soon.
Eventually I want to put it on 3/4 ton suspension, and cummins it.

No offroading, I got an old 78 power wagon I need to finish for that.

My one ton dually has the 390.

Thought about FI for the RC? I have. :-D I think it would save you more dough than the 273 swap.

Huh, no, it is an 88, carb.
The 318 I built for it, has a 260 ISKY cam, ported, some goodies, balanced.... I just need to put it in.
I had a 273 in a 71 3/4 ton for a while, got way better MPG than the 360 I took out, and would pull, as long as you were in first gear.

-
Back