What is it? (Chevy edition.)

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
This is a 400CI Chevy small block. Auto trans unknown. It seems to be a three speed as the car runs 3K on the hwy in the slow lane.

To me it looks lile a kick down or line pressure something.

I would like to,

1. Know what it is and what it dose.

2. Make it go away.

So, who wants to admit they know about Chevys?

Oh yeah the car is my 63 Nova.

20220105_154905.jpg

20220105_154910.jpg

Thanks for all the time and advice.

It appears to be a solenoid, IIRC that was used on a TH400 trans as a kickdown, not sure if it can be done away with, but I believe it would originally be attached to the pedal inside the car.

Thats kinda what I thought. I dont want to go full manual valve body as this is not gonna be that type of car.

Anyone figured out a way to make this box of ugly go away?

It appears to be a solenoid, IIRC that was used on a TH400 trans as a kickdown, not sure if it can be done away with, but I believe it would originally be attached to the pedal inside the car.

Looks like you are right.

Its a switch that activates the kick down.
Google says i can remove it and down shift manually but... i dont want to shift this car so Im gonna look for the pedal mounted switch to clean up the engine wiring.

I cant stand BS wiring.

Thank you.

Thanks.

I got a few ideas. This car will be getting a full rewire, at that time i will move the switch. Fornow I will fix this one up and get it working.

Thanks for all the help.

THM 350 cable kickdown, THM 375-400 electric sw/solenoid kickdown, both types have vac modulators..

I plan to spend some time under the car tomorrow and will look at the pan shape.
Regardless i want it off the carb and manifold.

I plan to spend some time under the car tomorrow and will look at the pan shape.
Regardless i want it off the carb and manifold.
Yeah, it never came like that. That's a shitball mod. It was mounted on the outside, but of course much better than that. The inside mounted like on the later Chevelle SS is way neater. The early cars mounted them on the outside under the hood, but a lot neater. Here's some pictures. Maybe they'll give you some ideas.
Outside.
TURBO 400 SWITCH OUTSIDE.png

Inside.
TURBO 400 SWITCH.jpg

"A shitball mod."

BUT Rusty did you see how nicely the bare wire is wrapped around the post? The guy was so good he didn't even need soldier or terminals!

We could all learn a lot from who ever wired this car.

"A shitball mod."

BUT Rusty did you see how nicely the bare wire is wrapped around the post? The guy was so good he didn't even need soldier or terminals!

We could all learn a lot from who ever wired this car.
Indeed. What was I thinkin. :rofl:

-
Back