What is it? Gold thing on this master cyl

-

player1up

Reaction score
ok guys I've got something that's stumped me.
Have a look at the pic. Can anyone tell me what in the world those gold things are hanging off the lines where they go into the master cyl????

They are aluminum, anodized gold, have no wires to them, and have a bleeder valve at the top.

Attachments

• trunk_pic (Custom) (2).jpg
    134 KB · Views: 341
Those are aftermarket residual pressure valves. Supposedly, they improve braking performance by keeping pressures up in the system- less pedal effort, etc. if you believe the advertising...

Is that even a car?

Is there just one fitting to each? That photo is so poor I cannot tell

If there is only one fitting, I'd guess some sort of surge piston/ accumulator. I'm guessing it's from Eastern Europe

lol, It's a car and it is Mopar powered. It's the consulier that my brother in law bought, mine doesn't have those things.
Here is part of the pic zoomed in, t's connected via T off the main line.

Does kinda look like a boat :D

Maybe a brake damper valve???

Attachments

• brake_things.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 327
Those look like accumulators to me, I don't see any reason why you need them. Since every time you release the pedal, the pressure in the system returns nearly to zero, this means that every time you apply the brakes, "some time," "some fluid" and "some pedal travel" is wasted in CHARGING both accumulators, if that is what they are.

I have to say thanks guys. This little thing has been crawling around the back of my mind for the last few weeks. I've been around cars for a long time but have never seen anything like this...well at least not on brake lines. It appears to be similar to a clutch fluid damper system.
Don't worry, I'm not going to add them, it just was killing me not knowing for sure what it was. I will say that the brakes in my car seem to have more "feeling" to them, kinda like the manual disc setup on the Duster vs a power brake system that always feels "soft" to me.

I think cars with the master cylinder low need these because they arent purged of air by gravity.

I think cars with the master cylinder low need these because they arent purged of air by gravity.

The link I posted tells what they are and why.
(sort of a preload device for the brake fluid)

Some rumors about the cars say that some had anti-lock brakes. This would confirm the rumor and explain what they are. The odd thing is that I haven't been able to find anything like it on the web.
Trailbeast, Can you elaborate on who used to make those? "Passive anti-lock brake" doesn't come up with anything useful in google or bing...I'm assuming that you've seen them before...

Some rumors about the cars say that some had anti-lock brakes. This would confirm the rumor and explain what they are. The odd thing is that I haven't been able to find anything like it on the web.
Trailbeast, Can you elaborate on who used to make those? "Passive anti-lock brake" doesn't come up with anything useful in google or bing...I'm assuming that you've seen them before...

I didn't chk into it that much, just did a Google image search for "Acuumulator on the master cylinder" and found what I posted above.

Could what you have may be aftermarket and that is why you can't find anything about it?

-
Back