What Is The Best Car You've Ever Rode In On The Street?

-
One more car story.
When I was 16 a friend asked if I wanted to go cruise with his friend in his 69 camaro.
The car ended up being a 69 RS Z28 .
It was blue with white stripes and had low miles.
He drove it like it was supposed to be driven !
Some guy pulled up in an impala and was running his mouth, the guy in the Z28 said DZ 302 and we were sideways banging gears left the impala in the rear view mirror.
I was giddy as a young teen car fanatic.
Only z28 302 I ever rode in.

Last edited:
I remember a time one of my dad's co-workers came by with a Mercury Cyclone Spoiler that my dad was thinking about buying. I don't know what it had under the hood but I remember him banging the gears and the car being sideways the whole time, only Cyclone I've ever been in, but it left an impression.

He should have bought that one and kept it. That is a very rare car. They had the 429 c.i. Cobra engine. Had to be like a rocket ship!

This should be a fun and interesting thread.

1983 the first car that I rode in that had some real power was a built 69 Super Bee/ 440- 4spd 3.91 That boat was hauling by 3rd gear. Not the fastest in my life, but first of real power.

1984 I rode in a built 69 Boss 429 Mustang that the owner wound out to 7500 rpms every shift. I could have bought that car for $10,000 then and had the money, but bought a house instead.

1986 I rode in AC Cobra SC427 that had a 800 HP 484" Side Oiler in it. That car was absolutely stupid to even be on the street.

Those are my most memorable street rides from my youth.

Tom
Bud had a '64 Riviera tuned by Kenny Duttweilers Dad in '76. The Ol" Man knew what made Buicks Tick.

Buddy had been driving since he was 14 or so and drove it like it was a jetliner on takeoff. I'll never forget the comfort of those wide buckets !

He should have bought that one and kept it. That is a very rare car. They had the 429 c.i. Cobra engine. Had to be like a rocket ship!
No doubt, but also probably one reason why he didn't. My asshole brother had just gotten his license, the old man likely figured that he'd kill himself in the Cyclone, so dad was not going to let that happen.
Of course a couple years later, the asshole bought the 429 drag pack 71 Mach 1 Mustang, but he told the old man it had a 351C, and never opened the hood if dad was around.

No doubt, but also probably one reason why he didn't. My asshole brother had just gotten his license, the old man likely figured that he'd kill himself in the Cyclone, so dad was not going to let that happen.
Of course a couple years later, the asshole bought the 429 drag pack 71 Mach 1 Mustang, but he told the old man it had a 351C, and never opened the hood if dad was around.
LMAO!

Untouched brodix heads, iron block, tube chassis back two thirds. Ladders and slicks on the track (and occasional street use). Fun to roll into in-n-out in.
Lite ! Wow, I would say so, very well built :thumbsup: near 2.000 lbs steel block and transmission, rearend and body, you did a great job sir .

Right now this is "it" 68 Fastback 451 stroker . It's the fastest , most Badazz car I've ever owned.

IMG_3362.JPG

RPZM5859.JPG

IMG_E3390.JPG

Just about threw up after riding in a mid 70's Lincoln. That thing floated all over the place.

One more car story.
When I was 16 a friend asked if I wanted to go cruise with his friend in his 69 camaro.
Some guy pulled up in an impala and was running his mouth, the guy in the Z28 said DZ 302 and we were sideways banging gears left the impala in the rear view mirror.
My Bud Tattoo Randy had one. Sold it for 10k in the 80s....

My buddies 70 Hemi Cuda back in 1970. Hemi, 4spd, shaker hood. In-Violet with white vinyl top, white bucket seat interior and white hemi hockey stripes. I have looked everywhere and have never seen another one exactly like it. I was home on leave before going to VN, and he let me behind the wheel. I thought I was in heaven. I may have been in faster cars, but that one was the most fun. RIP, Denny.

Classmate got a ‘71 Superbee, 426 Hemi, 4 speed that I rode in . Nice car. He traded it the next year for a Olds 442.
I heard the kid that bought the Bee thought he could beat a train to the crossing. He was WRONG!!! A sad end to a rare car. If my research is correct only about 29 Hemi ‘71 Bees were built with only 9 of them with a 4 speed.
Yote

68 AMX. Jim Mitchell. Dad worked in Kenosha for AMC. 3 speed stick?

Dude took me for a ride in a early model boosted Subaru 6 years ago.......kept pullin....He blew it up a couple weeks later. He was bad boy from work that got canned for stealin ****. Dumb ***. Still it sticks in my head how that car kept pullin though. Guess dumb asses have fast cars too. Great thread @PROSTOCKTOM .....it definately has traction.

This 65 lemans was no slouch with a 455/100 shot and a Doug Nash 4+1. 11.07@122. My own personal home grown garbage from back in the day.

20171019_192938.jpg

Last edited:
I helped I guy in mom's apt change motor mounts. He put a 400 in a monza. Dad had a vette before he died. I'd blast it down the dirt roads in Crestview FL. My real first was a 68 Coronet, 383 Magnum, 4 spd, 3:23s. I'd chirp 3rd. Pulled it, had Ed Garlits do the heads, added headers, Flowmaster 40s, a street hemi grind purple shaft, a 750 Holley, kept the Weiand Single plane but added MP elect. Ign... upgraded to 3:55s, then 4:56s (for about a week, couldn't run the Interstate here with traffic) circa 1990, back to 3:55s. She ate a few center chunks amd 1 A 833, but She'd Move, she Blow off Micky T Sportsmans... hooked on Mopar for Life ever since. I remember grandpa had a brand new New Yorker he bought in like 71 72 with a 440 in it we drag a Airstream all the way up to Canada with that thing back made him and Grandma to go visit her dad not one issue with that car and we made the trip when I was four and when I was five.. 75 and 76... luxury liner,, lol

Last edited:
Our old VW bus. My brother and I would camp out in it with the dog right in front of the house all summer. I guess I was 10 or 11. That thing smelled like wet dog and mildew but it was great.

One more car story.
My Bud Tattoo Randy had one. Sold it for 10k in the 80s....
A friend of mine showed up at church (wanna say, mid 70s) with his new (to him) 68 camaro. Bought from a Chevy dealers used car lot. Supposed to be a 275 horse, 327. So I checked it out.
Four speed, 12 bolt, crummy shifter (pre hurst) traction bar on the right side, holley, aluminum intake, open element aircleaner,......and a solid lifter tick.
He bought an unmarked 68 Z28 (like the 67s, no z emblem) by accident, from a Chevy dealer that should have known better.
Edit. It was blue with white stripes too.

• The day I bought my 67 GTS brand new from Carl Price Lincoln, Mercury, Dodge in Jasper, Al it was raining and my Daddy had to come home to run dairy so he left me there which they cleaned it up and put hubcaps and all on it. I asked the service manager how long I needed to break it in and he said as soon as the pavement dries it is ready to go. I was only a few miles down the road went I caught up with another car probably running 45-50 mph down a straight away. I started passing him and stepped on it and man it lit them up and started getting sideways and I fell in love with it and still have it today. If it had the 499" that is in it now back then I probably wouldn't still be living to tell about it. I wore a lot of the ones out that had fast cars. Dodge was like a bastard child back then but wasn't long before I gained respect, Joe

-
Back