What is the best way to store a motor ? It will be on a stand

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
What should I do to prep it for 2-3 years of storage so that I can just drop it back in the car when I need to . ? Besides sealing up the intake and exhaust filling with oil , is a synthetic better for storage ? Should I use a drill and spin it to get oil through it a few times a year ?

I put marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and roll the motor over with out the plugs installed.
When you squirt oil in the spark plug hole,shoot it at the inside cylinder wall.
This will help the oil flow around the rings.
Pumping oil threw the engine is a great way to keep things oiled.
I would use a high mileage oil to keep the seals nice and soft.
Also....as you roll the motor over.spray engine fogging oil on the exhaust valves threw the exhaust ports and down the intake passages.

You might just lay it on a skid. I have heard that hanging one that long may stress the rear of the block as it isn't normally overhung. Or support the
front while it is on the engine stand.

Something to think about....some engine builders might chime in here.

I say remove the plugs, spray each cylinder with fogging oil, turning it over a few times while doing it, and replace the plugs.

will support the motor , hanging from the bolts is okay short term , don't want to chance something going wrong . Just want it on the stand as it is easier to move around the garage . might get some steel tubing bolted to legs of stand to support the motor mounts , that should take the stress off the rear of the block .
You guys are full of good ideas I would not of thought of .

Growing up in Kodiak Alaska, (just a few months work, then the engines sit the rest of the year - read fishing) I learned to run the engine @ idle, spraying fogging oil into the carb, then kill the engine while spraying. This will coat the intake, exhaust, and cylinder walls with a heavy oil that does not drip or drain down over time. This should last for at least one year, I would do it again in a year to ensure full protection. When you go to re-fire it, run it with the old plugs to clear the fogging oil, then swap out for new plugs.

in my garage . That's why it's on the stand , needs to be moved once in a while to get other things in and out of the garage

Hi all

Would this also apply to a freshly rebuilt moter sitting on a stand

Rick

on some of the chevys i stored for long times i loosen the rockers up so all the valves are closed.... i had one motor sit and every cylinder look perfect but one with valve open on sbc... cylinder got rust in it.

do it on mopar would be easier... loosen the rocker shaft up... then re tighten it when motor needs to be run.. no adjusting valves unless you have a fancy rocker set up.

My freshly rebuilt engine sat for 20 years in my car not running. On a regular basis I manually turned the engine from the crank, also primed the engine and would squirt oil down the spark plug holes, did this once a month. I used 20w50 to help prevent the oil from completely draining from the top half.

I would back off all the rocker arms so valves are closed, oil cylinders, put oil soaked rags in exhaust and carb/intake.

Thanks guys , all great info . Confident with all these measures the original motor will be fine when it's needed down the road .
If I loosen the rocker arms can I still turn the crank and prime it from the distributor shaft ?

Temperature controlled? The best way is to loosen the rockers, stick plugs in it, oil in the cylinders and turn it over a bit, and seal up the holes. If the garage is heated, this is fine. If it's not temperature controlled and you have big temperature spikes, you may want to stick it somewhere that is more thermally stable.

-
Back