What is the date code and other info .......

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
You can tell me about this stamp on one of of my windows?
Glass Symbol.JPG

AS2 (some are marked AS-2) is for door and rear glass; AS1 (or AS-1) is for windshields.

AS are standard glass codes (American Standard) used by Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE, also found on many glass). The "AS1") were laminated windshields which were required to standard 70% light transmissibility & be impact resistant. "AS2" was similiar requirements, but had to pass side impact reqirements, 70% light transmissability and was tempered.

Second code, "M" is the Model Number. M20, M25, M27 are internal PPG unknown codes. .7 indicates thickness of the glass of that particular kind. M25 usually reserved for windshields while M27 side & back glass & tinted. Some have a space between digits, others do not, in other words some might be marked M20.7 or M20 7 or M207. The digit after the internal PPG code is thickness:

.6=3/16th thickness
.7=1/8th thickness
.8=1/4 thickness

The second to last codes above (26) are manufacturing plant of origin.

25 Greensburg, PA
26 Crestline, OH
27, Tipton, PA

so above glass is from Crestline, Ohio for instance.

The end codes/far right (40) are month & year (4=Apr, 0=70 ?).

DOT 18. DOT=Department Of Transportation code for PPG

PPG Industries Pittsburgh, PA

Last edited:
AS2 (some are marked AS-2) is for door and rear glass; AS1 (or AS-1) is for windshields.

AS are standard glass codes (American Standard) used by Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE, also found on many glass). The "AS1") were laminated windshields which were required to standard 70% light transmissibility & be impact resistant. "AS2" was similiar requirements, but had to pass side impact reqirements, 70% light transmissability and was tempered.

Second code, "M" is the Model Number. M20, M25, M27 are internal PPG unknown codes. .7 indicates thickness of the glass of that particular kind. M25 usually reserved for windshields while M27 side & back glass & tinted. Some have a space between digits, others do not, in other words some might be marked M20.7 or M20 7 or M207. The digit after the internal PPG code is thickness:

.6=3/16th thickness
.7=1/8th thickness
.8=1/4 thickness

25 Greensburg, PA
26 Crestline, OH
27, Tipton, PA

That is some great information. Thank you very much. So is the glass tinted? I’m assuming it is. Looks to be original to my car to. Thanks again

That is some great information. Thank you very much. So is the glass tinted? I’m assuming it is. Looks to be original to my car to. Thanks again

Spec indicatea a very mild "tint" more anti glare than anything I believe

.6=3/16th thickness
.7=1/8th thickness
.8=1/4 thickness

25 Greensburg, PA
26 Crestline, OH
27, Tipton, PA

Nice to have another Guru in the FABO family. I'll go check my 70 Swinger 340 with factory A/C. Could I PM you with pics for your examination, please. Thanks, Paul.

Nice to have another Guru in the FABO family. I'll go check my 70 Swinger 340 with factory A/C. Could I PM you with pics for your examination, please. Thanks, Paul.

Thank you for the compliment. I'm no expert, but I do a great deal of research so I enjoy tracking down things like this. I'd be happy to see what I could find for you.

Safety Float glass produced by the Libbey-Owens-Ford glass company. (LOF)

Libbey-Owens merged with Ford plate glass in 1930. There was an LOF plant in Ottawa.
LOF closed in 1980

Safety Float - early laminated auto glass
AS1 - Windshield
JN - J = May. N= 1971 (so not original)
M23 - Manufacturers code

DOT 15 is Department of Transportation code for LOF company

20220903_132348.jpg

All the factory tinted glass I've seen had "tint" etched into the glass next to the other etched information.

All the factory tinted glass I've seen had "tint" etched into the glass next to the other etched information.

Agree... from what I've read the coating used was to cut glare but wasn't considered a tint in the true sense.

-
Back