what is the depth of the hole in a small block 4 speed crank???????

-

duster360

Reaction score
I am going to put a A833 4 speed in my Dart later this summer and need to know what the depth of the hole in the crank needs to be for the crank input shaft to go all the way in? Also what is the finished diameter of the hole?

Is the crank drilled for a pilot bushing? You should be able to look at it and tell. If not you can use a later roller bearing but you have to trim the input shaft about 1/2" to 3/4". There's no need to worry about the depth if it's drilled already. :burnout:

I have heard that some cranks for automatic cars were partially drilled but not finished out for a 4 speed. As far as the input shaft I would like to stay with the bushings. I don't want to cut the end off of the input shaft. If I can get these measurements I will take the crank to a machine shop and have it drilled. Then everthing will be sent out to be balanced.

I haven't seen a small block crank that wasn't drilled deep enough but I admit I haven't measured every one I've ever had. It's just the diameter of the inner hole that is too small on most automatic cranks. You can use the later magnum bearing or hone the crank hole and cut down a stock bushing to fit. I think there is also a replacement bushing now available that fits into the converter hole instead of the magnum bearing.

A member here just sent me the info. For all of you that have asked this question here is the answer as far as the hole depth in the crank. It is 2.5".

-
Back