What is the Difference?

-

BigWhip

New to Mopar land
Reaction score
While reading a Engine Identification Numbers page. I noticed 3 different 360 motors were listed.

360 2BBL
360 4BBL
360 4BBL HP

What is the difference? I keep reading all 360s are the same( except the carb ). Did Mopar just do some creative typing? Or were the motors detuned by painting them blue ( a joke from the e-bay add) ?

BW

just about all engines list things like that. i think it has to do with year it was built compression and horsepower rating. but dont quote me on that as ive got a blue 4bbl 318 lol.

360-2 is a basic workhorse. Not sure on the advertised power but it should be somewhere in the 250hp area.

360-4 is a truck engine. I think they used a revised cam, timing set, 4bbl carb. and ignition curve, and I think they were rated around 260hp. Mostly in trucks, some C bodies.

360-4 HP is the same as a police package. Better cam, windage tray, same timing chain and intake as 360-4, usually better flowing dual exh (same manifolds tho), revised Thermo Quad, different air cleaner. I think the rating was close to the 260hp level.

I agree with moper.

I think some of the HP motors also got a slightly better crank - maybe nitrided or something like that. It doesn't much matter - you can add whatever you need to a 2 bbl motor and make a better performing engine than the stock HP version quite easily.

Windage trays are sold in kits by mopar and they really have jacked the prices on the main bearing bolts and the tray to a ridiculous price for what the stuff is. Swap meet is your best bet for picking up those pieces more cheaply.

Yes the 360-4 was also used in the aspen and volare (roadrunner package). They had windage trays and big exhaust manifolds and low compression.

-
Back