What is this and do I need it?!?

-

1974DartSwinger

Reaction score
Story first, question later :)
The '66 Formula S says bye bye to points!

So I went to mancini racing today, one of the perks of living in detroit, you can just drive there! I picked up the Mopar electronic ignition kit with the orange box and a new 45,000V coil. FYI, the guy at mancini's said the Orange box that comes with the kit is not a Chinese part, its "Official Mopar" stuff.

I threw everything together and decided to put the orange box upside down under the battery tray. It fit perfect but I had to add about 3 ft of wiring for it to reach. It looks amazing now, wrapped the wires with some high quality wiring harness tape and ran it along with the stock harness up the fender and along the firewall. You can't even tell its not stock! Love it :) After a few minor hickups with the timing and some loud backfires that got the neighbors attention, I ended up saying screw it and rotated the engine to TDC and set the dizzy / rotor to cyl #1. Vroom! As per the instructions, plugged the vac line and set initial timing to 5 degrees BTDC. Runs really nice now.
Oh, and FYI to anyone else doing this on an early A body, the BOTTOM wires of the ballast resistor (blue and blue/white I think) are the ones you hook to the conversion harness. They're the ones that show 12V key on.

Now, question time! As I took off the stock distributor I noticed a thingy, I think the technical term would be condenser, grounded to the back coil mount bolt and a wire going to the (-) on the coil. I hooked it back up with the new coil, but do I need this? What is it? Hmmm . . . I think it may just be something for the points. You gotta forgive me, I'm new to the V8 Mopar world but been racing 2.2 turbo cars since highschool ;)

Another Question, I think I may have to fine tune the timing or set a little more advance but the car doesn't seem to have the low torque it had before taking the points out. It seems a little more "flat". Maybe bump the timing another few degrees, or play with the vac advance.

Anyone? Thanks!

That sounds like the supressor for eliminating engine electrical noise to the cars radio.

Ahhh . . . thanks! Into the "box-o-parts" it goes :)

Any good tips on setting up the timing with these new electronic ignition dizzys?
Going to try and chase down that flat spot tomorrow

Wait...you plugged the vacuum advance? You mean just for setting the timing, right?

-
Back