What is this for???

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this "air tube" is for? Does it attach to anything? This is on a 68 Dart with AC.

I'm in the process of modifying my AC box to eliminate the AC portion so I'll only have a heater and defroster and am wondering if I need to keep this air tube or if I can eliminate it.

Thanks.

air%20tube_zpswcooylxw.jpg

If I am not mistaken that is for a bit of hose that connect to the blower motor Housing. My understanding is that it cools the windings.

If you are going to run a blower, you need to keep it.

I kinda remember there being a little 90 degree elbow hose to the blower motor, but I might be imagining that. I always thought it was to drain the blower motor if required, but I guess forced cooling air makes more sense. A simple hole would be fine to drain.

I kinda remember there being a little 90 degree elbow hose to the blower motor, but I might be imagining that. I always thought it was to drain the blower motor if required, but I guess forced cooling air makes more sense. A simple hole would be fine to drain.

No, it's to equalize the back pressure for the blower/squirrel cage... If you want to push air with the blower, you need that....

Thanks guys. I guess thats why there's a hole in the side of the motor case. Stupid me!

Did non-A/C cars have this?

I think because they did not blow as hard as an AC car.

Wouldn't A/C cars be prone to condensation and need better venting?

If I am not mistaken that is for a bit of hose that connect to the blower motor Housing. My understanding is that it cools the windings.

agreed. may have had motor replaced in past with a aftermarket unit that didn't come with an opening to keep it cool.

whats the ac heater box out of? Before you cut it up, I have several non AC boxes and would be more than willing to trade and pay shipping both ways. I am only 350 miles away in Southern Oregon. PM if interested, hat to see another AC box bite the dust.

whats the ac heater box out of? Before you cut it up, I have several non AC boxes and would be more than willing to trade and pay shipping both ways. I am only 350 miles away in Southern Oregon. PM if interested, hat to see another AC box bite the dust.

Sorry man. I've already cut up the blower plenum portion of the box. I'll post up some pictures when I'm done, but I've essentially eliminated the A/C portion of the box, but will still have an operational heater and defroster.

-
Back