What Is This Part?

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
Some I am replacing a bunch of the small parts on my engine as I freshen it up with my build. I have replaced the temp sending unit and oil pressure sender, but I don't know what this part is on the manifold. I assume it has something to do with the vacuum, but I don't know what I am looking for to replace this. Would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/W...7-48FB-A9E6-5EBB02C4DFD5_zpstxn4o8jm.jpg.html

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/W...2-413B-B1CA-2F4ADFCFBEB1_zps9icfti98.jpg.html

Full manifold vacuum. Use for gauge or any vacuum accessory. Larger fitting would be used for power breaks.

Full manifold vacuum. Use for gauge or any vacuum accessory. Larger fitting would be used for power breaks.

Is this part called a "full manifold vacuum?" It would be nice to have an idea what to be asking or search for. Thanks by the way.

It is a vacuum nipple. If you don't have a vacuum operated accessory to plug there, unscrew it and put a pipe plug in the intake.

Its just a hose fitting that provides full manifold vacuum at idle. most, if equipped with power brakes, have a larger fitting in that spot. just search for power brake vacuum fitting.

It's a vacuum nipple.

I would guess that the car it was off of had a/c and that was where they got the vacuum source to actuate the mode doors for the hevac unit.

That nipple generally supplies vacuum for the heater/ac controls on models with air conditioning. On many late 60s-early 70's A and B bodies, the dash heater controls AND the heater (water) control valve are vacuum operated. You can buy a cheap threaded plumbing plug in steel or in brass at hardware stores or home depot (plumbing section) to fill the hole if you don't need it.

It's also something that doesn't need to be replaced. When you get right down to it, all it is, is a piece of metal with a hole in it.

After going back and looking at some pictures I realized that it was plugged into a vacuum hose for the AC/heat. I guess I will have to keep it since the heater box is going back in the car.

If you have a bench grinder with a wire brush wheel, 5 minutes on the wheel will make that plug look like new, If you are redoing small engine parts, the grinder wheel is an invaluable tool to have! After you wire wheel them to bare metal, spray them with clear engine enamel to keep them looking that way,

Good Luck!

BTW, if you do need to replace it, I found a functional replacement at Grainger. I searched for a 1/8" hose nipple/3/8" pipe thread.

On my 273 it was for the vacuum gauge.

-
Back