What is this steering wheel?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
A woodgrain steering wheel similar to this one was in a '73 Duster bought for parts on my son's project Gold Duster. I don't think it is stock. When did they use this type steering wheel, and were they in A or B bodies? The wheel is in excellent condition, but the horn button is missing.

Thanks,
Jerry

68-70 steering_wheel.jpg

No, what I meant was... it isn't stock for a '73 model. I have seen them in earlier cars, like a '69, as you said. But I don't think they were used for many years.

You have a 68-70 A or B-body sport wheel, your car would have had the Tuff Wheel as an optional sport wheel. If you want to keep it in the car you can find a pad from a 69 Barracuda or Dart (swap to Plymouth emblem). If not, you should be able to trade your wheel for a correct one. I wish I had one to trade ya because that would look nicer than the worn one in my 69 GTS convert. JB

Here are a couple of pics of my steering wheel. At least it has the ground wire and a horn switch. What else is necessary to attach the vinyl horn button?

Steering Wheel 01.JPG

Steering Wheel 02.jpg

What holds it on? Those screws you see in the pic? The steering shaft nut? Pressure springs? Anyone have pics to show up close?

That is a woodgrain steering wheel. It was an installed option on my 66 Dart GT, although the horn button was different. The first couple of photos are definitely 67 & later. On the 66, the horn button had a circular "spring plate" that was attached to the underside of the horn button. When this was horn button was pressed in, the spring plate hooked on to the elevated ring of the horn switch. It was a press-on fit.

I went out and got the pics off the convert. I hope these help, even got you a part number.

JB

IMG_4326.JPG

IMG_4327.JPG

IMG_4328.JPG

72 Demon,

The 64-66 did have a wood wheel with closed spokes and they used a metal center that snapped in.

74 Sport,

It looks like you have the 64-66 horn button and mount, it should have a part number on that starts with a 25XXXXX.

There was one other steering wheel in 67 that was similar to the 68-69 A and 68-70 B (clarification from my above post) but it was recalled. Some of you may have seen them over the years for sale on eBay for crazy money, like the SBP magnesium wheels.

72 Demon,

The 64-66 did have a wood wheel with closed spokes and they used a metal center that snapped in.

I have a closed spoke wheel and I have the metal center that is supposed to be correct for 65 and it turns in. I do not have the correct metal piece that the center turns into. I have a vinyl button and metal retainer that came with the wheel. The center part number is 2660118. this part number is on both the metal piece and the vinyl button. It's different then yours 74 Sport. I'll bring the camera home tomorrow and get you a picture. Maybe I can come up with the correct setup for mine also.

Dave

It was an installed option on my 66 Dart GT
You're saying yours looks exactly like this one, or it is a similar looking woodgrain wheel? Information I've been getting indicates this particular style was only used in '68 - '70. I have seen similar ones where the three spokes have different shaped openings.

Since I don't own the car any more, I can't say for sure about the wheel spokes. I do know that the horn switch on your wheel is like the one on mine and not like the one on 69Dartconvt69's wheel.

GT,

Your correct, the earlier wheel did also turn to attach but you must have a later horn pad because the earlier one is different, they had a metal center cap. I can't find the pics of my old restoration on my 66 Signet and I sold the car so I can't look at it but something is different.

74 Sport,

Here is a pic of the horn button on my 74 Duster, it looks like the one you have on your wheel. The pics I posted earlier are correct for an original setup, I looked up the part number in my 69 parts book. And just to clarify again, the correct sport wheel for your your car would have been the Tuff Wheel.

The first pic is of the 74 horn button, 2nd is the early 64-66 A wood wheel, 3rd is the correct early center and last is an e-body wood wheel that is the other type you've probably see. Other than your and the recall wheel that I don't have a pic of you now know the differences as best I can help.

JB

IMG_4331.JPG

SW2-248x232.jpg

SW36465HB-180x182.jpg

RB21-357x342.jpg

Yep, I see what you are saying. I pulled the horn switch off and found a number on the back: 2822126

It looks like this particular horn switch and the open spokes do not belong together; someone mixed things up.

Dave,
Does your vinyl horn pad and metal mounting plate look like those JB showed up toward the top of this thread?

I have a metal cap but don't have the correct mounting plate, when I bought my wheel it came with the later center. I need the correct mounting plate for my metal center.

So, does your black vinyl pad have the correct mounting plate? Any way to tell if the pad has a Dodge or Plymouth emblem?

Are you asking about my 69 Dart wheel or the guy (GTGrimley?) that has the 66 wheel with the wrong year center pad? I get lost in the threads sometimes, you got to address the question so us slow guys can keep track. Thanks.

Question was to Dave. Wondering if his black horn pad has its accompanying mounting base. Sorry about jumping around.

Here's the pic I promised...the black center and the ring that holds it on..someone took the badge out of the center but the plastic is still there.

barracuda trim 007.jpg

barracuda trim 008.jpg

Thanks, now, can someone show how it should look with a Plymouth emblem? Also, can someone show how the ring attaches to the steering wheel? What type of horn ring is mounted on the wheel? Is the black vinyl center pad simply held on with a friction fit or does it "snap" onto the metal ring? Sorry, Dave, but could you show a pic of the back of the pad?

-
Back