what is this thing under my hood???

-

bill detamore

Reaction score
Men

Can any of you tell me what this is? I would love to get rid of it. There is a hose out of the back that goes to the back of my carb.

Info?

Thanks

B

Attachments

• engine bay.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 509
I do have factory air but it does not work. I am toying with taking all of it out of the car. I like driving the car with all of the windows open. I also do not drive it in the heat of summer. Just a night. I am also of the opinion that if I evetually want AC to put a newer system in. I have feeling it would take a grip of cash to get the original running. Am I off base on this one?

My heater does not work either. The controller is stuck and nothing will work as far as the buttons go. I will take the controller out of the dash and see what is going on with it. I do nto think the heater core is damaged because the water lines are still hooked up and there are no leaks. Would a heater be easier to get going?

Thoughts anyone. I realise this is the wrong section but it started out as an engine question.

Your hot water valve doesn't have a hose on it so I'm not surprised the heater isn't working.

Get all those vacuum lines back in the correct spot and things may start working again.

Your hot water valve doesn't have a hose on it so I'm not surprised the heater isn't working.

Get all those vacuum lines back in the correct spot and things may start working again.
Did they put the stickers with the schematic on them back then??

Its a vacuum resivoir. Without it under a low vacuum condition the blend doors in the plenum will go to their default defrost position. If it wont bug you for the heated air flow to change on its own everytime you leave a stop light, delete the resivoir.

I see everyone has a diff name for this, but none the less doesnt change the fact that it is a vacuum amplifier, hence the big port small port feature ;)
so you have a lil longer duration of suction on the small port thats also but mainly the vac is multiplied/increased to keep the door in position during those throttle blips.
Thats what I read back in the 90's and also confirmed with a chrysler engineer.

they are made, or were made by DOLE VALVE CO. fwiw

Call it whatever, i guess it really doesn't change it's function anyways.

Recon Ford called it the ETC ( empty tin can ). LOL

Where does this get it's vacuum from? A carb vacuum port or directly from the manifold?
Thanks,
C

It needs direct vacuum, from either place (manifold, or carb).

Bill S.

-
Back