What is this thing???

-

Duster_71

Reaction score
Hello All,
This thing mounts on the inner left fender on my 74 Duster and is wired into the engine wiring harness, what is it?

0325172125a(4).jpg

Last edited:
Your photo didn't link properly.

No picture but I'll bet that I know anyway...
Red button on it, right?
That is a 1974 ONE year only device. Here is a summary.....
For the 1974 model year, the Federal government mandated that American cars had to be equipped with devices that required the SEAT BELTS BE BUCKLED before the car could be started. Many components were integrated to make this happen. Sensors are in the seats to detect weight. There is a blue electrical box under the dash near the steering column that has several wires going into it. THIS was the brain/command center of the system. That small box under the hood was a RESET for the system. If a person tried THREE times to start the car without the seat belts buckled, the car shut down. That red button reset the system. You should seek out a 1973 Factory Service Manual and compare the wiring diagram to yours. THEN remove any wire associated with that seat belt system.
OR just unplug it and see what happens!

No picture but I'll bet that I know anyway...
Red button on it, right?
That is a 1974 ONE year only device. Here is a summary.....
For the 1974 model year, the Federal government mandated that American cars had to be equipped with devices that required the SEAT BELTS BE BUCKLED before the car could be started. Many components were integrated to make this happen. Sensors are in the seats to detect weight. There is a blue electrical box under the dash near the steering column that has several wires going into it. THIS was the brain/command center of the system. That small box under the hood was a RESET for the system. If a person tried THREE times to start the car without the seat belts buckled, the car shut down. That red button reset the system. You should seek out a 1973 Factory Service Manual and compare the wiring diagram to yours. THEN remove any wire associated with that seat belt system.
OR just unplug it and see what happens!
Thanks Kern Dog, Sounds about right, funny thing is I don't have the seat belts hooked up so it sounds like the car should never start.

its a starter relay with a red reset button on it.....the wire on the right with brown end is the neutral safety switch wire from the transmission...If trans isn't in neutral or park (grounding out rooster comb in trans) the car will also not start

When I reupholstered the seat in my 1974, I reconnected the wires coming from the seat switches. Not long after that, I got into the car after work and it wouldn't start. No click, no nothing. Eventually I guessed what was going on, removed my bag from the passenger seat, started the engine. After that I disconnected the wires again, just like the original owner probably did on day one.

So, has anyone eliminated this thing, if so, did it create any other problems? I'd like to get it off my inner fender if possible.

With the wire connector disconnected from under the seat, the system no longer works and the car will start normally.
My Dad sold new cars from 1967 to 1994. In 1974 he sold Chevrolets. They had a similar system and since almost nobody wore seat belts then, this was an annoying thing to deal with. He would get a car from the lot as his personal car and reach under the seat to disconnect the wire plug. Nothing permanent, just a temporary thing so the car would start like before.

-
Back