What is this trunk panel called, and where can I find one, please?

-

ProjectBazza

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my introduction (link: New member with an interesting story. ), I'm working on a '71 Chrysler VG Valiant from Australia, and amongst a couple other things I'm currently working on, today I had to pull out the gas tank.

When I removed the filler tube(?) that goes from the fill cap to the tank (my apologies if the terms are not correct), I found that someone had previously used a bunch of Bondo, filler, and/or fiberglass in an attempt to hide this little beauty here:

IMG_4252.JPG

To be completely honest, this is the only rust I've found on the car ANYWHERE, and the entire underside of the car, including the gas tank, is da** near SPOTLESS. (Weird!)

Anywhoooo, while this car may be a '71 from Australia, from the back the body looks almost exactly like a '68 or '69 Dart to me:

edit.jpg

I have to believe I can find something here in the States that will work, but I don't know whether to look at a '71 vintage panel of some sort, or, given the external similarities between this car and the US Dart, buy a '68 or '69 panel, so can someone please point me in the right direction here? Can I use a '69 patch (or complete) panel, and if so, where can I find one? I'm not about to have something shipped from Oz or NZ, nor do I have the time, as I want (need!) to get this repair done before I can put the tank back-in.

Any and all useful input will be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks.

Jim

As I mentioned in my introduction (link: New member with an interesting story. ), I'm working on a '71 Chrysler VG Valiant from Australia, and amongst a couple other things I'm currently working on, today I had to pull out the gas tank.

When I removed the filler tube(?) that goes from the fill cap to the tank (my apologies if the terms are not correct), I found that someone had previously used a bunch of Bondo, filler, and/or fiberglass in an attempt to hide this little beauty here:

View attachment 1716118772

To be completely honest, this is the only rust I've found on the car ANYWHERE, and the entire underside of the car, including the gas tank, is da** near SPOTLESS. (Weird!)

Anywhoooo, while this car may be a '71 from Australia, from the back the body looks almost exactly like a '68 or '69 Dart to me:

View attachment 1716118773

I have to believe I can find something here in the States that will work, but I don't know whether to look at a '71 vintage panel of some sort, or, given the external similarities between this car and the US Dart, buy a '68 or '69 panel, so can someone please point me in the right direction here? Can I use a '69 patch (or complete) panel, and if so, where can I find one? I'm not about to have something shipped from Oz or NZ, nor do I have the time, as I want (need!) to get this repair done before I can put the tank back-in.

Thanks.

Jim
Should be the same as the 67-69 Dart but I’ll check. There is no Aus-specific repair panel for that area. My car is in pieces so I can get a photo for you. Mexicanas are very rare. Less than 200 built and some say only 70-ish.

My car is in pieces so I can get a photo for you.

That would be most welcome, thank you!

And if you'd rather keep it/them private, feel free to contact me directly so we can discuss this offline. In fact, I think I may prefer that, as I have some questions about this car that I don't think can be adequately adressed, or answered, here, given it's Aussie/Kiwi origins.

Mexicanas are very rare. Less than 200 built and some say only 70-ish.

Yeah, neither me nor the owner (formerly from NZ) are able to get an accurate count on the production numbers on these either, and while this one may be the only one here in the States, thankfully it's more of a "driver" than a "show queen", otherwise I think I'd be afraid to work on it.

Last edited:
I tried to start a private conversation, but the message said I already had 15? Don't know how to fix that.
Anyway, I was wrong - the panel will be Aus-specific. The Dart fuel neck is a straight piece where the Aus filler neck is a right-angle plastic bend that runs in a hollow in the boot floor.
My car has been repaired badly and I don't know how to post a photo here.

I know you don't want to wait for a panel to be shipped, so I suppose you could either make a piece to suit with a hammer and shot-bag or use a Dart fuel neck.
I know the fuel tanks are the same because I bought a Tanks Inc. Dart tank for my car.

I tried to start a private conversation, but the message said I already had 15? Don't know how to fix that.

You got me! I've been here all of 3 weeks or so, and I'm still trying to figure out the basics.

Anyway, I was wrong - the panel will be Aus-specific. The Dart fuel neck is a straight piece where the Aus filler neck is a right-angle plastic bend that runs in a hollow in the boot floor.

I think that's the conclusion I've come to as well, as none of the US panels I've seen have the same lines, dimples, depressions....whatever you call those body lines. And, yes. This car has the right angle, plastic fill neck that fits into the depression on the trunk (boot) floor, and I've been treating it like priceless glass, as I don't think I would ever be able to replace it if I damaged it.

View attachment 1716118772

View attachment 1716118773

Thanks.

Jim
You got me! I've been here all of 3 weeks or so, and I'm still trying to figure out the basics.

I think that's the conclusion I've come to as well, as none of the US panels I've seen have the same lines, dimples, depressions....whatever you call those body lines. And, yes. This car has the right angle, plastic fill neck that fits into the depression on the trunk (boot) floor, and I've been treating it like priceless glass, as I don't think I would ever be able to replace it if I damaged it.
But you could get a similar one from another model and just use part of it.

1690740010765.png

But you could get a similar one from another model and just use part of it.

I'm considering that, but since the dimples (or depressions, or what have you) won't match, I may as well save my $$$ and use the leftover metal from the floor pans I recently used on my '68 Ford truck. I didn't use all of it/them, and I was looking at them today and noticing there are some places where the bends look to be about right....

Plus, the floor ("boot") mat would cover the repair anyway.

But still, I'd rather go OEM.

We'll see.

Last edited:
-
Back