What is this under my carpet?

-

694spd

Reaction score
I was installing the shifter boot when I noticed the small hump in the carpet to the right of the opening. There appears to be a part of a console mounting bracket welded to the floor. I propped up the carpet so I could take the picture. The car never had a console from the factory. Is this a factory blunder?

100_4339.JPG

Last edited:
Wouldn't that bracket be only welded on the console and not the floor? Something strange there.

Thanks for the info. I now recall reading about this stop before. It is obvious that it only comes into play on cars that have a bench seat and a floor mounted shifter.

Finally, a question I could answer. If I had only gone to lunch earlier
But I will add, that if that's to the left of the opening, you're sitting in your car wrong.

When I saw that I also thought what ramrod said, but then I thought maybe he was Houdini.

I just went back and reread my original post. You are correct. I meant to say to the right of the opening. I will correct it. Thanks.....

But I will add, that if that's to the left of the opening, you're sitting in your car wrong.

Depends who is sitting where, and why.... back in high school that would've been to my girlfriends left a few times in my 71 Barracuda...... just sayin.

Found in A-body 4 speed AND 3 speed cars with floor shift & with bench seat or with bucket seats.

In other words, it was part of the manual shifter floor hump regardless of seat type.

Found in A-body 4 speed AND 3 speed cars with floor shift & with bench seat or with bucket seats.

In other words, it was part of the manual shifter floor hump regardless of seat type.

I have that in my 4 speed, non-console, bucket seat 73 Dart Sport

-
Back