What is this!

-

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I found this in a box of old NOS stuff that I had for years. I was thinking something for cruise control or something where you need two output connections!

Any guesses?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 002.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 003.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 242
Yep; cruise control. I don't know what it's specifically called.

Looks like a splitter for a mechanical tach/rev. control. The pin sticking out goes into a key hole on a cable end and the other ports also have cables that screw into them. Vintage mechanical tachometers had mechanical rev limiters and one of those was needed to operate it.

Cruise control is primarily vacuum operated but I could be wrong in thinking that part is not used in an old cruise control system. There may very well be a speedometer cable attachment somewhere.

Looks like a splitter for a mechanical tach/rev. control. The pin sticking out goes into a key hole on a cable end and the other ports also have cables that screw into them. Vintage mechanical tachometers had mechanical rev limiters and one of those was needed to operate it.

Cruise control is primarily vacuum operated but I could be wrong in thinking that part is not used in an old cruise control system. There may very well be a speedometer cable attachment somewhere.

Even the old vacuum cruise control systems needed a sensor for driveline speed, and a lot of them used the speedo drive for it.
Still hard to say if that was part of a cuise control or not though, as most of the older ones used a gear drive sensor that just went inline in the speedo cable and didn't split off for another cable.

I suspect the peice pictured attached to the trans, but cant place what else it could have driven besides the speedometer.

I think that I have seen one of those long ago hook it up direct and your speedometer and odometer works normal. And where the 2 connectors are, hook the spedo cable to the other side and it will take miles off the car while you drive

Here is what I was talking about.

6153322-tachsystem.JPG

My 78 Power Wagon had that .Don't know how it worked but was for the transfer case high/low range and keeps the speedometer reading the same.

I stand corrected; that does look identical to the original post. Good eye.

-
Back