What is this

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
found this on my 1966 dodge dart thinking it some kind of alarm of something

20160608_104836.jpg

That kind of looks like speaker wire coming out of it, maybe part of a stereo install?

It might be that vibrating option they had, forgot the name of it.

Looks like a reverb. That was the shiznit back then with AM radio. Cool find!

It created a slight echo effect between the front and rear speaker.

It ran sound through an actual metal coil to create reverb. Hit a good bump with it on, and you got an echoing TWANG as the coil bounced around.

That's way-cool. The rear speaker fader knob should pull out to activate the power to it. I looked high and low to put one in my 66. Needs Rolling Stones "Paint it Black"for best demo.
If it doesn't work, I can repair it for you.

It ran sound through an actual metal coil to create reverb. Hit a good bump with it on, and you got an echoing TWANG as the coil bounced around.

If that's what this is, ^^THIS^^. you had a device inside with a transducer at each end. Essentially, the radio fed one transducer (think speaker) which was hooked to one end of this spring. The sound traveled down the spring, delayed by the length of it. At the other end, the vibrating spring transferred the motion into the second transducer (think microphone) which converted back to electrical "sound." This then went to a simple amplifier, which hooked to the rear speaker(s).

Many of them SOUNDED exactly like what they were............a screen door spring

I wanna know if it works!
If you don't want to keep it, I have a '65 Dart GT that wants it real badly.

You can always substitute a big Hammond organ spring box transducer unit for the springs, and keep the amp section, and it's a much bigger sound than originally,

The reverb tank was spring mounted internally, but if you hit a big bump,
KA-BLANGGGGGGGG!.

Interesting site DartThomas. Is that about a 65 Belvedere?
C

Interesting site DartThomas. Is that about a 65 Belvedere?
C
66, my first car. Back then, I made cassette tapes from oldies stations that played the cool obscure stuff, and had tapped into the volume control, hid the player in the glove compartment , and pretended disco hadn't happened. Now I can drive in my local area, and hear 3300 songs plus 700 some commercials and drop-ins, and it's a real station on the dial, all my choices.
I really, really, don't want to use an mp3 player. I want to listen on the RADIO.
The recordings are not off the audio line, they are actual on-air signals recorded.

Sure 'n I've got a '66 radio somewhere to fit. Is the dash plate still there?
Don't know about knobs, though.

Sheeyoot, Roy Orbison's "Sweet Dreams" sounds fantastic on that setup! So do the Beach Boys (auf Deutsch, who the hell knew?) and Jimmy Stafford—Hey, wait a sec, are these ads all actually real? H'mm. :) Great stuff, diggin' these podcasts. Thanks for the link!

Last edited:
-
Back