What kind of Headers are these? (Just added pics)

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I know this is quite the shot in the dark, but the guy building my engine ask what kind of headers I have for gaskets, I bought them used so I have no idea. The only name/number I have found says "510"
Is there a 510 header?? I just says 510L or 510R, I assume for left and right.

Maybe I should just look into new ones? These are in pretty good shape, just surface rust.

To be sure, do these even look like a 73+ A-body header??
Thanks!

Header1.JPG

Header2.JPG

hedaer3.JPG

cylclone, black jack, hedman, hooker, dyno-max, etc. all have the same basic design & 1 thing in common, the drivers tubes will git smashed!

Yes, it is for a small block. Do these look right for a 73+?

You think I should keep these, or would new Summit ones for $99.00 be better then these???

Never even heard of Black Jack?!?!

Thanks Guys!!

they look like headmans to me.. but who knows, I could be very wrong...

with that short collector, i would say cyclone or blackjack. back in the late 70's, mr. gasket bought out appliance & cyclone mfg's. they combined the two into blackjack headers. to bad they didn't go with the appliance style. this had to be the best fitting street header, next to the tti's, for a-body mopars ever made. they had great ground clearence & were easy to install. they came with a 4-bolt flange for the collector. the drivers side #1 tube was a slip fit, this helped installation. i found a premo set at a swap meet a few years back. the guy knew what he had. he wanted $200.00 for the set. i should have bought them. someone needs to bring these back.

Hay Myasylum did you ever use these to try them out? Or perhaps someone else has these and tried em?

I picked up a set for $40 last winter, I was told by the seller that they were for a small block a-body application. I could see they were for small block and I figured for the price I'd pick em up and try em eventually. They have the same numbering stamped into the flanges as yours. I could not find any other markings on em anywhere.

I'll be mocking them up by next weekend on a 360 bare block and heads with a 727 to see if they clear the trans but wont be able to know if they will clear power steering until I do a swap... which unfortunately may not be until very late next year or the year after unless I win a lotto! lol

510 Headers.jpg

I found a small pin hole in one of them and didn't use them.

I also have found that all these "cheaper" headers are all the same.
Doesn't matter. They all suck and are a pain in the ***.

I bought new Hedman Headers. Pain in the *** as the rest of them, but I got them to work.

Well thank you for the 'holy sh$#' quick response!!! LOL

I know what you mean about the pain in the *** of headers even my B-body headers were a real pain with the starter and being real close to the 727 trans pan, and sealing even with thick flanges getting bent... etc etc lol

as these still have decent ceramic paint on em and were cheap I'll see what I can do... I'll likely end up going with shorties or stock if I get pissed off though enough LOL

Thank you again for the reply Myasylum

It's like a big puzzle. If you do everything in the correct order there should be no problems. I took mine off 3 times! Almost 4!!

Theres no REAL instructions anywhere either, you kind of have to figure it out. (unfortunately). You have to take off the tie rod on drivers side, bolt the tie rod back together again BEFORE you put on the headers. get a mini starter, put that on first. Put bolt 2, and the last two in first, and get small headed bolts (order them if you have too), and thats all I can think of for now. Mine ended up fitting with no banging or dinging at all. I thought I'd have to, but with playing with it enough I figured it out with out getting out the hammer. I have power steering too! This is all on the drivers side too!! The passenger side is cake.

Well I finally got around to mocking up these no-name headers and they mockup real nice but as I mentioned earlier I wont know how well they will firt around the power steering if at all. Wont find that out until I do the swap.

Here are the pix

1 - Mockup Top.jpg

2 - Mockup Bottom.jpg

3 - Mockup Left side.jpg

4 - Mockup Right side.jpg

5 - Mockup Rear Top.JPG

6 - Mockup Rear Bottom.jpg

Starter Clearance 1.JPG

Starter Clearance 2.JPG

Trans Clearance Left 1.JPG

Trans Clearance Right.JPG

-