what kind of heads would you use?

-

hilbillyconques

Reaction score
i am in the process of putting a 416 small block together for my 67 dart it is a clean little g t car it will be used for 80 percent street driven car show etc. with the once and a while trip to the track , right now it has k-1 forged 4 inch crank, forged k-1 rods with .927 pins and diamond dished pistons for pump gas , i have been looking at the 360-1 cylinder heads and the 360-2 i will put a good set of rocker arms on either and i dont want 8000 rpm shift points but i would also like a head that i could later on "grow" with.
i am kind of still undecided on the cam of choice roller or solid. also it has a factory block and caps with studs , 727 with 3800-4000 dynamic converter w/brake and 3.90 gears . i thought about the w2s but liked the look of the aluminum head.
so lets here it guys what would you use the -1s the -2s ,ootb , mildly ported , full hand ported, full cnc ported?
also i should add that i am not buying them from indy but a compentent shop that will inspect them.
thanks for your input.

Well, with the way your post reads, I would use the Indy's OOTB, lightly preped and cleaned up. Something the shop your dealing with would od. No real enhancement work, just good common sense type work before bolt on.

The heads flow preety nice OOTB , IIRC and could make some big power as is. I would go with the rectangle port and there intake.
I think there a set of heads than you can really grow with.

Do you plan to tear the engine down later and refurbish or throw in a bigger cam, intake, carb? I'd go ahead and get the 360-2 heads. The flow numbers I've seen are about the same in the lower lifts but the 360-2's might have larger port volume and that may affect low speed performance.

You say the build is for pump gas....cylinder pressure must seriously enter into the equation. Aluminum takes more cylinder pressure that iron. Cam choice, etc., etc. Make sure your choices are working together.

Well, I say get the Indybrocks for what you are looking to do. Keep the valve train less exotic. If not I would consider trading you my full ported Eddy's for a set of CNC'd 360-2's If you go with Eddy's let me know I may have a used set of Harland sharp 1.6's I'd sell. Your Friend
Lonnie

-
Back