What kind of "mileage" do you get with your slicks?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
My 65 273 Valiant 4 speed bracket racer was conventionally set up with 8 3/4, 4.56, super stock springs, home fabricated pinion snubber and hooked up well. Until one day, when it suddenly went really squirrely, as if I were racing on water or something. Back in the pit area, i found my 10" M & H slicks had worn down to where the fabric chords were showing. Had a new pair sent out to me right away via Greyhound bus. Must have had way over a hundred runs on the old ones. Maybe 200? I don't know.

Attachments

• 65 Valiant3.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 142
It really depends on your burnout style...as in how much you need for your car to hook with the size you're using?

Most of the 9/10inch tires I've been around on 12ish second bracket cars had the wear dots pretty thin around, give or take, 150 runs.

I think you've done ok, considering. As long as you have enough tire and they work, just spin to clean & slightly heat. Smoke shows get expensive over time if you don't need it. :D

Lucky is i get 75 runs with my drag radials..no big deal. you should replace them when the wear indicators are gone,belts showing can be dangerous...

A lot depends on the pressure too. Too high (so it feels more solid when driving at low speeds and cold) can let the center go away very quickly. Slicks should only be at racing pressure after a burnout, and if that pressure's too high you're not using the whole footprint either. I haven't run them in years but I had 29.5x10.5 Firestones and they went three summers of very limited street duty and probably 5-6 racing days and still had a ton of meat on them.

-
Back