What kind of rocker shaft is this?

-

Flying G

Reaction score
Greetings, Gents. In my dad's stash of parts I found a pair of these rocker shafts (on left in pic). They appear to be plugged on the ends, but as you can see, the ends are smooth & rounded. The oil holes are straight through & appear in-line with the mounting holes.
>> Anyone know what these are? Hydraulic?

I believe the shaft on the right is a 273 shaft with grooves & 2 oil holes. Just happen to have it out.

>> What shaft would be appropriate to use with Harland Sharp roller rockers & a mechanical cam? Thanks!

20220903_201007.jpg

20220903_201043.jpg

Standard rocket shafts on left and banana groove on the right.

And the banana groove looks galled. One I wouldn't use.

Yeah, wasn't planning on using the grooved one. Dad used to go on junkyard crawls & pull the rocker assemblies off any 273's he came across, so not surprised they're trashed.

But any new ones will need to have 273 style oiler holes for a mechanical cam, correct?

Yeah, wasn't planning on using the grooved one. Dad used to go on junkyard crawls & pull the rocker assemblies off any 273's he came across, so not surprised they're trashed.

But any new ones will need to have 273 style oiler holes for a mechanical cam, correct?
Yes, the grooved ones are for iron adjustable rockers. It all depends on what new ones you buy whether they are drilled for adjustable rockers. Shop wisely.

You can have the 273 shafts hard chromed and reground. For Harland Sharp rockers, I'd get a new set of their shafts.

Who's the guy around here that sells new rocker shafts? Looking for the thread.

Send him a PM. It's just steel and machine work. Guy does some nice work. No made in China crap there! :poke::lol:
I guess I could. I was under the impression maybe he was just the seller. I'll ask him.

Ah hA! Lol it seemed that way with you quoting me saying ..' call Dvorak machine'.
if you had quoted yourself instead I would have read it right.
No, I was recalling he had died.

No, I was recalling he had died.
That's a bummer. I talked to him a few times and he seemed like a nice guy.
He was making these stands for the Hemi, but at the time was not making any more because he hardly sold any. he was sort of bummed out about that.
I ended up making them myself.

hemi1.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back