What kind of setup is this???

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
I'm sure you've all probably seen this one before but it's new to me. What kind of setup is this guy running here? I've never seen a slant set up like this before. Course, I've only been interested in them for about 10 months now, so I'm sure there's all kinds of setups I've never seen before. Thanks!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GC0W11UFu8&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Slant 6‬‏[/ame]

Ye gods. Its a pair of British-made Zenith-Stromburg CD2 carburetors adapted to an Australian aftermarket perpendicular 2bbl intake manifold. Never seen one quite like it! These carbs are very, very heat-sensitive, and that inboard carb is going to run hot. It sounds mean, for sure. I've gotta give 'im creativity bonus points! (and then I've gotta take 'em away…he's fixin' to burn up the #6 cylinder, which is running lean because he's got the PCV hooked up wrong)

Once again, you astound me. So what were carburetors of this type usually installed on? Being British, I would think probably a Jag or something to that effect. I loved the way this setup looked, but I think anything even remotely like this is a little ways down the road. I've only just seen my car for the first time yesterday. I don't even have her yet. Guess I should worry about getting her and getting her fixed up before I start playing. Thanks for the reply!

That is a CAIN intake.. Not a knock off but a CAIN made by the old man his self, or do we call these an Australian aftermarket perpendicular 2bbl intake manifold. Never seen one quite like it end quote..
I agree the PVC is hooked up wrong Dan, and I know nothing about the carb's he has adapted to it. A heat shield around the two carbs and let cool air drive around them looks like it could remedy his problem.
A ?, If he ran the PVC below the carbs on the intake will that be the best place for his set up ? I can't help but be tickled for the man, looks like he has a bunch of /6 parts there and I hope him well :heart: he sounds like a happy ol soul don't he :thumbrig:

I wonder if it is my old CAIN I sold here to a member :razz: I doubt it :wave:

Attachments

• Picture 222 013.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 365
So what were carburetors of this type usually installed on?

This type of carburetor, whether made by Zenith-Stromburg or by SU, was installed as factory equipment not only on numerous English, er, "cars", but also on Volvos and other non-English applications. Exact copies of the SU carburetor, made by Hitachi, were installed on Datsun Z-cars and others.

That is a CAIN intake.

Yep. Nice piece, it is.

If he ran the PVC below the carbs on the intake will that be the best place for his set up?

The PCV needs to go to the plenum, yes. The problem is that he's got it dumping into just one intake runner, well after the plenum, so it's going to lean out #6 cylinder and make it misfire. I just looked at a '64 Dart the other day that had the same hookup. It started and ran poorly as a slant-5 until I clamped a Vise-Grips on the PCV hose...all the sudden it was a slant-6 again, to the owner's amazment.

I can't help but be tickled for the man, looks like he has a bunch of /6 parts there and I hope him well

Me too. I want a ride in his car!

...compared to american carbs, su's are sweet...easy to tune w/right tools. Cool looking set up. Would like to see it in the car running down hwyway,,,

Grassy

You can still get those SU/Sidedraft to 2/4 adapters a the place that specializes in Webers, somewhere in NorCal if I remember correctly. They make a 3X2 weber setup for the slant 6. Carbs cost more than 2 motors. Dan, My super 6 has that tap on the 6 runner, but the older 2300 carb I have has no provision for intake vacuum. Whats a good plan to draw intake manifold pressure for EGR? Or just vent, or run a pitot tube into my turbo carb hat feed? You can vary the rate of opening on those SU's by changing the viscosity of the oil in the dampers, conversly on a COLD morning, I dont know if the oil is thin enough for these cars to work right?

You can still get those SU/Sidedraft to 2/4 adapters a the place that specializes in Webers, somewhere in NorCal if I remember correctly.

I'll go fishin', but if you have a link, I'd sure like to see it!

Dan, My super 6 has that tap on the 6 runner, but the older 2300 carb I have has no provision for intake vacuum. Whats a good plan to draw intake manifold pressure for EGR?

If you won't be using the EGR system (which seems a pretty safe bet since your 2300 won't have a venturi vacuum tap to operate the system), then either get/make an EGR blockoff plate and drill/tap it for a brass pipe-thread-to-hose-nipple fitting (3/8" hose diameter) or if you're handy with a welder then forget the plate, just weld up the EGR exhaust port and tap the round EGR inlet port directly.

just vent

Not a good plan

or run a pitot tube into my turbo carb hat feed?

H'mmm...interesting idea. Haven't thought about that one. Disadvantage of that would be that you'd be putting oil vapor thru the carb, so you'd need to clean it more often. But you're running boost, so a conventional line to the intake plenum will not evacuate the crankcase when you're under boost. You may want to take a look at how factory turbo engines (especially carbureted ones like the Buick 3.8) have their PCV systems plumbed.

You can vary the rate of opening on those SU's by changing the viscosity of the oil in the dampers

You can, but I'm not sure it's necessarily a good idea. I am not an SU carb expert, but my understanding is there is a pretty narrow range of recommended damper oils.

-
Back