What kind of shifter do you guys use?

-

Lars

Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about putting my 4 speed in my 70 now that I have it apart, I really don't like automatics at all, and I have an A-833 box just sitting here (needs a rebuild though). I need a bellhousing (gonna get a Lakewood), flywheel (have one, but it's for a 318 and I want to go with my 360), clutch (looking at SPEC), and linkage (not even sure where to start here since I don't like the look of the factory stuff). I have a shifter, but its one of the old Inland style that has the "T" shaped part you pull up on for reverse. I had a Hurst in brand X car I used to have and I really liked it a lot, but the only ones I've been able to find aren't for A bodies, or it's a universal straight stick, will that work? I want to keep my bench seat for now, and all the 4 speed setups I've seen curve back towards the driver, not straight up, so that doesn't look like a very good option. So where do I look?

Thanks

I just put a new shifter in my 68 Barracuda 4spd this past winter. It is the Hurst Indy shifter kit for mopar A-bodies. This has got to be one of the best bang for the bucks out there.

For $135 (Jegs or Summit) you get the shifter, mounting adapter, tranny levers, rods and all the necessary hardware. The only down side is the lever, it's a straight 7" stick. But it's a bolt on and I just used the lever off the old shifter or pick up one you like at a swap meet.

The unit has nice tight short throughs. The body looks just like the Bompetition Plus unit from Hurst minus the adjustable stops. It even had dimples where they go so I drilled them out and tapped them for the stopped bolts.

I'm just running old OEM Hurst mechanisms. Jeff's Dart has a factory 68 Hurst console handle while Alan's Barracuda has a home-modified handle.

I am using the Hurst comp plus in my 66 Dart. I has the 2 bolt type shifter handle, which is nice since I have a couple of different handles I like ot use with it.

I'm running a wore out broke dick hurst. That is going to be my next change on the dart I think.

I have a pistol grip setup out of a 71 R.R. which I believe had a bench seat. It sits a little bit forward but I love the short handle and throws.

-
Back