What manual valvebody for my 904?

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
Building my 422 with indy heads and roller cam. My question is: What manual valvebody would be best for my application? The trans has been rebuilt with good parts, and for now, its all I have. I do want a manual valvebody. It will see alot of street and some strip, but it will be run hard alot. I won't have a transbrake. I haven't looked into the valvebodies alot, and there are some things that I have read that I am not sure about, like what would be best for my application. Any suggestions?

try

tubro action....tranzact of indy...Cope racing trans...

Thanks! Thats what I wasn't too sure about...the low band apply. Now I have an idea as to what to get! I checked out the turbo action ones, then I was browsing the mancini website and saw the griner vb. Seems like they are all about the same price. Are there any I should avoid?

Get a Cope...I have the street full Manual..I like it..Sure I lose some gas Milage manual shifting it, but I like it

I have an A and A low band apply. Flawless performance, I'd buy another one but I only have one car.

Seems like everyone is happy with the valvebody they bought! I'm always watching for deals, I'm on a TIGHT budget, so I was wondering...is there anything wrong with used valvebodies? Should I do anything else with the transmission when I change the valvebody? It was rebuilt with a mancini kit and deep pan. Transmissions for the most part are still a little bit mystical to me, I've never done anything but shift kits.

i have a cheetah in my scamp and in my cuda and dude im telling you there is no other way to go they are bullet proof

Seems like everyone is happy with the valvebody they bought! I'm always watching for deals, I'm on a TIGHT budget, so I was wondering...is there anything wrong with used valvebodies? Should I do anything else with the transmission when I change the valvebody? It was rebuilt with a mancini kit and deep pan. Transmissions for the most part are still a little bit mystical to me, I've never done anything but shift kits.

Used is just fine as long as it hasn't had trash ran through it. Only other thing you need to check is the front band apply ratio. Make sure it's what the valve body calls for. A lot of the newer valve bodies call for a 3.8 ratio lever, which is what came in a lot of transmissions but sometimes guys swap them to a higher ratio when rebuilding it.

I'll have to check mine. Its a mid-70s 904. Is it stamped on the lever, the ratio? How hard are they to change? I think the transmission will end up being my weak link, but for now, its all I have and can afford. Hopefully it suprises me though. Is there anything else I can do to it to help it last, and perform better? I may go pick it up today just to take the pan off and look at the lever.

Doesnt the trans go tf3 have low band apply? I though I read somwhere that it does.

I'll have to check mine. Its a mid-70s 904. Is it stamped on the lever, the ratio? How hard are they to change? I think the transmission will end up being my weak link, but for now, its all I have and can afford. Hopefully it suprises me though. Is there anything else I can do to it to help it last, and perform better? I may go pick it up today just to take the pan off and look at the lever.

The ratio is stamped on the side of the lever. Not too hard to change but you do have to remove the starter and dust cover to gain access to a pipe plug located in the bellhousing that holds it in. Have it rebuilt to high perf. specs, install the biggest trans. cooler you can get, install a upgraded input shaft, and install a top quality converter with a billet hub.

I'm pretty sure it was rebuilt to high performance specs, its been a couple of years since it was done but I had it done with 12 second runs in mind. Now it may be quite a bit faster. I think I will invest in an input shaft and billet hub converter, as before I had it rebuilt I had cracked two converters in the hub area. I have the transmission out right now, as soon as I can pick it up (its at my moms in her garage lol). I got a B&M trans cooler, the biggest one they sell. Thanks for all the info everyone! Any more ideas would be appreciated!

-
Back