what motor do you recomend?

-
depends on what you want to do with it... the easiest thing to do is run a 360 and a 904 trans. thats a pretty straight forward swap... now a 440 is bad *** but it takes a little more to do it. but man will it run... i'm speaking from experience.... i originally put a 360 in my 64 wich ran really well but man did that 440 in there run...

22629050.jpg

22629042.jpg

22629024.jpg

thanks. what kind of performance should i expect out of a 360? "abodyjoe" that car is awsome. what motor is in the picks? also how can i make the valiant handle better? its a 4 door :( .

handling,
get an alignment done at an Old Spring shop,
not at Pep boys.

put 14 inch tires on, like 195/70/14, if you have a slant 6 car.

what engine tranny is on your car now?

2549july_3rd_2005_Pittsfield_car_show_0211-med.jpg

My question to you is how good is the metal of the car and do you intend to install frame connectors,and how much power do you want and the the use of the car.A small block would be a very good choise,but if the car is going to have connectors and a cage,and is like new for metal,and big block is always great,Mrmopartech

alindeman1989 said:
thanks. what kind of performance should i expect out of a 360? "abodyjoe" that car is awsome. what motor is in the picks? also how can i make the valiant handle better? its a 4 door :( .

depends what you have done to it... a very mild small block will put it in the 13's easy. maybe faster... a friend has a 66 cuda with a pretty much stock 78 360 long block . he has a hemi grind cam in it a tunnle ram with two holley 390's a mp 175k convertor and 3:23's and the dam thing has gone a 12.81 in the quarter.. the cars are lite and will run with mild motors in them...

to get one to handle i would put atleast .990 torsion bars up front,a set of 6 leaf hd springs out back and front and rear sway bars and you should be good to go..

the motor in my 64 was a 440

i'm gonna chime in with my personal experience...

66 cuda
started out with :
1968 318 4bbl 904, 3.23's
front discs
front and rear sway bars
ss springs
6 cyl bars
poly bushings
8 1/4 sure grip rear

good driver - 14.7 @90 was the best in the quarter

last year I upgraded to a

78 360 as previously mentioned, and the power upgrade speaks for itself... from 14.7 to 12.80 is not too bad for a stock long block - 78 heads with 1.88's and all -
it still hauls with 3.23's

they are light enough to make any motor fun in them but for over the top i'd recommend big block... it's gotta be the easiest way to have a mild motor and run 11 seconds, with a good converter and gear...

abodyjoe said:
depends on what you want to do with it... the easiest thing to do is run a 360 and a 904 trans. thats a pretty straight forward swap... now a 440 is bad *** but it takes a little more to do it. but man will it run... i'm speaking from experience.... i originally put a 360 in my 64 wich ran really well but man did that 440 in there run...

22629050.jpg

22629042.jpg

22629024.jpg

I love this thing. :thumblef:

you should have heard that monster at the local cruise nights... no one looked at it till it fired up....

well I looked at it, cause I like a's... but most would not even pay it any mind.. but DAMN it sounded good.

thanks guys for all of the info. the body is in perfect shape no rust at all. and the best part is i picked it up fo 1500 bucks. is looks like a new car. the slant six im not sure what kind it is and im not sure about the tranny either but it is a auto and the way to change the gears is you put the buttons on the dash left of the steering wheel. im a newbie. what should i look to spend on a mild 360 and how many miles should i expect out of it? :)

you have a pushbutton 904 trans.. just remember if you put a v-8 in that car then the trans needs to be replaced.

alindeman1989 said:
what kind of trans cause you sayed 904, but if i have a push button 904 do i need to replace it?

To make the job easier,
you will need a 1964,or 65 V8 904 tranny.To hook up with a small V8.

December 1963, the 273 V8 became an option, in Darts,and Valiants.
{1964 model year}

The 64-65 transmission are cable shifter, even tho the 65 has a
column shifter,it still uses a cable, to the tranny.

Otherwise, you can use a floor shifter.

Why not just build the slant 6, heck with gas prices the way they are
its not too bad have a slant 6.LOL.

Look at the side of the engine, near where the upper radiator hose,
leaves the engine. There is a bypass hose, {small like heater hose size}

If the bypass hose is very short, the engine is a 170,
if the bypass hose is like 4 inches long, its a 225.

If the picture works its a 225.

looks like my upload works, after I resize the pictures,

here is a 170 cid, very short bypass hose near the thermostat housing.

The only thing I'd add here, is, stay with the 904 auto, if you're going with a small block. There is more cutting and fabricating with the use of a 727 since they have a larger case. If I didn't have future plans for more horse and speed, I would have stayed with the 904.

-
Back