What oil are you using

-
Run the thinnest oil you motor can take.
A very wise professor in college, who raced the original Shelby cobras said thin oil is horsepower as long as you do not heat the crank up.

A timely thread as I am progressing towards getting my 318 in my 65 Barracuda and haven't decided what oil I am going to use with my flat tappet engine?

A variety of opinions here for each's particular case! Pursuing that, I have found information that explains the relationship of the Zinc and that the Zinc reacts with the steel surface and creates a phosphate glass film that protects the steel surface by forming a sacrificial film that covers the peaks and fills in the valleys of the steel surface.

And the types of Zinc (break in)

In addition, several other additives like detergents, dispersants, viscosity index improvers, and others all compete against the Zinc inside your engine – sometimes with negative consequences.

This is where some info came from for the curious, if not in the know.. <like me>

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/dro/training-center/articles/zinc-in-motor-oil/

i use this in the duster 360 and the new yorker 440
the stp has zinc in it

Attachments

• Picture 508.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 125
I usually use castrol edge 5w-50 because of the higher zinc. What intervals do you guys generally change your vr-1? Always heard it had to be changed a bit more often. And what is a wix filter?

Whatever conventional oil is on sale; usually 10W30, occasionally 15W40.Zinc additive every change.
With 15W40,it used to blow the oil filters(any brand I tried) off the adapter plate(at WOT/higher rpms), until I doubled up the plate and doubled the number of through-holes. It wasnt the filters fault.15 yrs/125000+ street miles.

Royal Purple assembly lube, if roller cam - regular Walmart supertech 5w30 for break in/ first 1,000 miles then switch

If flat tappet don't know don't run them..

I ran Royal Purple 10w30 in my 350hp Ford 306 and it didn't help anything.. (factory style roller cam)

I plan to run RP or Brad Penn 5/30 or 5/20 in my Demon with a retro roller cam, but the additives in it also help with ring seal (piston rings)

-
Back