WHAT OIL FILTER NEEDED FOR 1976 SB MOTOR

-

d1970

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO HAVE A GOOD DAY
Reaction score
Installing Headman Headers 78056 on my 1976 SB motor, will I need a 90 degree oil filter adapter or can I use a short oil filter. I have an iron 90 degree oil filter adapter, will this work on my 1976 motor. Thanks

shouldn't need the 90*..... Use the short filter ... Fram PH43, Mopar 090, etc etc

NO 90 needed,Kelly,but the 90 is better think about it,longer filter traps more and makes oil changes easier with headers..Trust me been there.btw your car look good at appelfest.

Given a choice, i woud have a horizontal oil filter over anything else. Just easier overall, to contain the mess.

A few Mopar buddies told me the shorter oil filter should work with no problems. I've used a shorter filter on other motors before, I was just checking around to see what other Mopar guys did when they installed headers on their cars. Thanks again for all the help

I've always run a Fram PH8A which fits with headers and the 90* adapter and seems like it might provide a bit more oil capacity...though some question the quality of Fram filters FWIW.

Let us know how you make out.

My only issue with fram filters- well,actually 2.
They stick. As in having to work to get them loose,sometimes more than necessary.
The gaskets stay behind,so be dilligent and check for a stuck o ring on the filter base. I cant even guess how many oil changes i have done,i saved the rings that stuck,probably had 15. Every single one is from a fram.
Not to bash fram,just stating how it is. Now i didnt put them on,so i wonder if they were put on dry or greased.the grippy stuff plays a factor here too.
Use only motor oil to lube the o ring.

Or, you could say screw it, buy an oil filter relocation kit, move the filter up to the inner apron and run a short or long filter as you see fit, and not have to worry about the headers to take it on or off.

I used a Napa 1085 short oil filter (3.836 inch) with no problems. Thanks to all for the help

FWIW.... using a remote oil filter is a helpful idea with headers IMHO. Headers direct radiate a lot more heat into everything around them, including into the oil filter housing.

-
Back